Fit work started and lunging questions...

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Murphy started today in his fitness training...

20 mins down the lane in walk and lots of transitions from walk to trot - trot to walk. Went very well I think.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do some lunging work. Again lots of transitions to get him working from behind. Then Im going to alternate between riding and lunging then for the next few weeks, get him working well before I even think of jumping etc.

My question is, in a few weeks once he's getting fitter i would like to use draw reins on him while lunging, I know they need to be nice and loose - but how should I fit them - to the d rings? and if they are too long can I just tie a loop by the cantle to stop them drooping down? I'm not even sure if you can use them on the lunge, but that is what I was planning to do...

Any hints or tips welcome.

xx

MillionDollar

Visit site
I've never heard of using draw reins when lunging, i don't see how this would work. I use either a harbridge or pessoa, best thing IMO to lunge a horse in, really gets them working from behind.

Lvrees

www.supergroom.co.uk
Not all horses work well in a pessoa, Boston goes awful in one, he hates it. I think you should invest in a bungee, Because its elasicated it doesn't force any outline, it just almost requests it!! I've got one you can borrow that if you want. But as Murph isn't really toned I wouldnt want to put him through the strain of anything like sidereins or pessoa just incase!!

Lunging over poles will help him stretch over his back, which is what a pessoa does anyway.

And no, you cant lunge in draw reins!!!

WelshRareBit

Visit site
smile.gif
fanks Lauz!! heh xx

Janette

Visit site
There is such a thing as 'Balancing Side Reins'......Long pieces of luggage elastic which attach to the girth, and then through the bit ring, to the D ring on the saddle. They are adjustable by a sliding buckle, and Star lunges better in those, than anything else. She shortens away from normal side reins, but these encourage her to work over her back and really step under herself. She starts with her head high, but the elastic invites her to lower her head (A Chambon just made her worse as she fought against the pressure)

I bought mine from Rideaway if that's of any help.