Fitness - Am i kidding myself?

Bessi

Visit site
Horse has had a year off due to navicular issues, turned out 24/7 until feb then in during the day and out at night since, walked in hand for 30 mins 3-4x per week from feb - may, started walk hacking in may and has walk hacked 3xper week for up to 40 mins since and gone on horse walker for 1hr minimum 3xper week aswell since start of august.

Horse has now had all clear from vet to crack on with coming back to full work, was eventing at 90 and considering step up prior to time off, would I be kidding myself if I try and get him fit enough to pop round a couple of 70 hunter trials before the end of the season? He's feeling excellent at the moment, jumping 5bar gates out of his fields several times this week but obviously lacking muscle tone. Can enter on the day at local hunter trials so can decide nearer the time just want objective opinions if Id be mad because I know I'm super keen to be back out on my golden boy doing what with both love.

Michen

Visit site
I would if your talking end of October (should still be a few then?) but I wouldn't want to be doing anything until then when he still needs to start trot work and tbh, I'd probably just wait until next year.

zaminda

Visit site
I am doing my first endurance ride on one of mine tomorrow. She has been off since Jan when she did a check ligament, although living out. She started walking in May, trotted for all of July, and started cantering end of that month. She was very fit when she smacked herself and damaged her leg, and I have been worried if she will be ready, even though I know she is, and the vet is happy. In all honesty, if she hasn't even started trotting yet I would say leave it until the spring. I would also chat to the vet.

Bessi

Visit site
He will start trotting this afternoon, vet has said happy for me to crack on with absolutely no concerns, in all honesty he would have probably come back into proper work sooner but I fell off another one and broke my ankle so I am only now back able to do more than walk out with him..

zaminda

Visit site
If he had just been out of work it would be fine, but I am always careful when coming back from being lame. My mare above came back after 10 months off when I was abroad to race ride fit in 7 weeks, so it is doable, but I have been very cautious this time, as I have been every time there has been a reason for a break. It does depend on type too if he is a heavier type you will struggle, lighter probably not so much.