Fitting and sizing of a Micklem bridle...

Fiona

Visit site
Hi folks

My Connie has decided that he loves a Micklem bridle, and goes very well in it.

We are fairly sure this is a small horse size, and he is a 13.2 normally wearing a cob bridle.

I'd really value advice on how you think this one fits, and whether I should purchase a pony size or this small horse size...

45416770_2123791917673722_6898554343163691008_o.jpg

Fiona

blodwyn1

Visit site
I needed to buy the medium horse for my 14.2 Welsh d. The small horse ( allegedly their cob size) wouldn't even do up! Their sizing is weird!

blodwyn1

Visit site
Also the leather quality is poor and variable. The first bridle that was too small was ok but when I exchanged it I didn't check and the one I ended up with was like cardboard. That was a competition deluxe. The English leather version didn't look much better but was twice the price!

Fiona

Visit site
Also the leather quality is poor and variable. The first bridle that was too small was ok but when I exchanged it I didn't check and the one I ended up with was like cardboard. That was a competition deluxe. The English leather version didn't look much better but was twice the price!

So maybe I shouldn't buy online so I can see the quality in person ...

I do need to buy though, my friend needs hers back...

Fiona

Myloubylou

Visit site
I have the English leather version which I got at a really good price. Not top notch by any means but worth it as worn in nicely and cleans up well.

Fiona

Visit site
I have the English leather version which I got at a really good price. Not top notch by any means but worth it as worn in nicely and cleans up well.

Where did you buy it?

UPDATE - I've been out to measure the one I've been loaned. My friend told me it was small horse, but it measures much more like a standard horse, so from this I reckon that the size down ie a small horse/cob should be fine.

I've searched deluxe competition micklem on eBay and come up with a few well over £200, but found one listing for £145 which says in the description 'English leather' so if it arrives and it obviously isn't, then I can return.

Do I sound mad, or reasonable?

Fiona

Fiona

Mule

Visit site
Where did you buy it?

UPDATE - I've been out to measure the one I've been loaned. My friend told me it was small horse, but it measures much more like a standard horse, so from this I reckon that the size down ie a small horse/cob should be fine.

I've searched deluxe competition micklem on eBay and come up with a few well over £200, but found one listing for £145 which says in the description 'English leather' so if it arrives and it obviously isn't, then I can return.

Do I sound mad, or reasonable?

Fiona

Fiona
It sounds reasonable except I don't think there's any way of knowing if it's English leather unless you can compare it to a Micklem that definitely is.

Fiona

Visit site
It sounds reasonable except I don't think there's any way of knowing if it's English leather unless you can compare it to a Micklem that definitely is.

I think I'll know when I see it, as the packaging was different when I looked at them in the horseware shop a few months back ....

Fingers crossed

Fiona

Myloubylou

Visit site
I got from millbry hill & checking it’s the same price as I got it for - £148.77. Is a cob size which is actually small horse. I managed to get discount code on top as well

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Is it possible for you to buy from where you can actually see them? I've got an older multi bridle which I've read that people have had problems with the leather but mine is still in great condition after 4 years use with none of the problems other people have mentioned. I've also looked at the English leather one and couldn't see much difference in the quality especially for the price tag. I wonder if the leather quality is very hit and miss?

Fiona

Visit site
Is it possible for you to buy from where you can actually see them? I've got an older multi bridle which I've read that people have had problems with the leather but mine is still in great condition after 4 years use with none of the problems other people have mentioned. I've also looked at the English leather one and couldn't see much difference in the quality especially for the price tag. I wonder if the leather quality is very hit and miss?

I think you're probably right, but none of the local places stock it so I'd be going 40 miles or so....

I will probably have to though if this one comes but is clearly either a strange size or not the English leather version as described...

Fiona

Annagain

Visit site

I think the quality of the older ones is much better than the newer ones. It seems as soon as they offered an expensive English leather version, the quality of the other versions deteriorated. I have an older one and while it's not great, it's much better than newer ones I've seen recently and, with lots of Oz's special recipe leather conditioner, has softened and suppled up nicely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think you're right, and the borrowed micklem is in fact a standard horse. My standard horse multibridle looked similar on the 13hh 3yo cob foster filly that I tried it on, it fitted her but on the tightest holes.

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks tiddlypom.....

Fingers crossed :)

I'm very excited to find out soon........ as my DPD parcel (containing said new Micklem bridle) has been delivered this morning, so I can rip it open as soon as I get home :):)

Can't wait.....

Hope the traffic is light

Fiona

Shutterbug

Visit site
How did you get on? My 16hh SSH has a Standard Horse in leather and its a lovely fit - he loves it. I managed to get mine for half price due to tiny little stitch that needed redone on the inside cheek - I really had to search for it when it arrived as they did such a good job on it - was still in the packaging too.

Fiona

Visit site
It's arrived, and the leather quality looks fine. Will check size against my borrowed one when I go outside later 😃😃

Fiona