Five year old trying to suckle

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mimosa (5, never been bred) occasionally tries to suckle from Milagra (18, ex broodmare).

She isn’t persistent when she realises there is nothing there, and Milagra doesn’t seem to mind but I’d like to get to the bottom of what is motivating it.

Mimosa had a normal weaning, and is a very confident young horse. She’s naturally more dominant that Milagra. She can be foal-like. I’m wondering if it’s a nutritional deficit?

Has anyone had this with adult horses?

A26EC22B-6960-4506-A002-5D05C2A16146.jpeg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've only known this as a comfort and security thing. Or a way to self soothe. I'm not sure that it is linked to a nutritional deficiency as much as it is linked to a mental "need" or fulfillment of sorts.
Yeah I do still see my yearling look to suckle from her gelding friend when she is uncertain or has been under mental pressure for some reason. though of course she's only been weaned 6 months so it's still probably a fairly fresh behaviour.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
So strange, she doesn’t seem unhappy or worried. She’s quite a confident, happy little soul.

I do have her separated for a few hours a day, trying keep her weight down. I wonder if it’s that but she has done it before with other horses and with Milagra from time to time. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Weird. What was her weaning like? I've never seen my 2-year old even think about it with her adult herdmates. I know she was weaned naturally, by her mum. She was in the same herd as both parents when I bought her.

Does "normal" weaning mean that humans split up mare and foal? I've read that some behaviours (I was interested in fencewalking) originally start as self-soothing behaviours when the foal is separated from the mare before it can really cope, and then they become stress-triggered things that the horse will do forever.

Last edited:

Cragrat

Visit site
Weird. What was her weaning like? I've never seen my 2-year old even think about it with her adult herdmates. I know she was weaned naturally, by her mum. She was in the same herd as both parents when I bought her.

Does "normal" weaning mean that humans split up mare and foal? I've read that some behaviours (I was interested in fencewalking) originally start as self-soothing behaviours when the foal is separated from the mare before it can really cope, and then they become stress-triggered things that the horse will do forever.

Interesting!

I have an ex-racer who was bred at a very top English stud, has more stamps in his passport than I do, and windsucks at times. No ulcers, 24/7 turn out in summer, 12 hours in winter, has 2 companions he gets on well with. When I got him, he unexpectedly formed a very strong bond with my ancient, grouchy, matriarchal old mare. Sadly, about 9 months later she had to be be PTS, and, as I always do, I let the others say their goodbyes to her body. He displayed VERY foal like behaviour, which I had not seen before - mouthing, licking, whickering - he didn't try to suckle, but she was on the ground. He continued the foal like behaviour for a few days after. It was very sad :(

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

As far as I know, she was a very independent foal and weaned naturally, with no issues.

I’ve separated them for the first time this week. I’ve started with time in adjacent fields and they are spending their first night apart now. The older mare is having a lovely time - she’s on the long grass. Mim is on a bare paddock because she’s so quick to inflate. She’s furious about it but she has settled.