Fizzy horse feed advice

Chloe087

Visit site
Hi,

I’ve had my horse for a month and tried and tested a few things with regards to her feed. For the first 2 weeks I had her on Hi Fi original, with pasture mix (none heating) sugar beat (1/2 a scoop) oil, garlic powder. I realised she doesn’t need the extra energy when exercising she’d Be quite naughty and not concerntrate. I was feeding her that twice a day. After trying for another 2 weeks of just giving her HI FI and mixing with water, oil, and garlic and an apple her mood is much better and she isn’t half as fizzy. I only feed her once a day now at night time.

Is there anything else that anyone would recommend? Has anyone had any similar experiences to me with feeding?

She’s only been backed 12 weeks, so I don’t think she needs the extra energy at the moment! Just need to keep her as placid as possible! She’s only 5 so really green so part of me thinks sometimes she’s trying it on but I do think food has something to do with her previous moods!

Chloe x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as the horse is new to you and the weather is going to get colder, i would keep her on fibre only and give more hay if she drops off, as she is in a new home she may be a bit more nervous so i wouldnt feed anything that is heating until you know her better...

Shay

Visit site
HiFi Original is packed with sugar. You might do better changing to HiFi Molasses free. Same amount of energy but only 2.5% sugar by weight as opposed to 9%.

Fiona

Visit site
If it were me, I'd just feed hay, plus grass chaff/grass nuts if you want or need a bucket feed.

Its easier to add energy than to take it away, especially with a youngster.

Fiona

Chloe087

Visit site
Thank you for all your input guys. I was thinking of getting the baileys meadow sweet chop with turmeric. It says it’s good for horse with excitable temperaments and it’s low in sugar.

Has anyone used this?

be positive

Visit site
I have not used it as I don't feed mixes because they tend to be higher in starch and sugar than I want and have numerous bits and bobs in that if a horse is very sensitive can have a detrimental effect, what the manufactures say and what is true can be very different so while it may suit some excitable types it will not suit others.
If you know you have a sensitive horse is makes more sense to feed straights and have more control, I would not feed her any more than a handful of unmollased chop with a vit/ min supplement if you want to use one until she requires more and then put her on speedibeet for condition if adlib hay is not enough, which it is for most in light work, nothing here is getting any feed yet as they look and feel well on just grass and nothing else.