Fjord Ponies for Adults - Any Info?

Jaycee

Visit site
I owned a beautiful Fjord mare a few years ago. There were many plus points, they are good-doers, very rarely needs hard feed, lives out in any kind of weather, mine never had shoes on, only saw the vet for routine jabs and teeth, lovely to ride, gave my nervous son lots of confidence with his riding, altogether a brilliant breed to own.
The only things I had problems with was her mane and her weight! If you want to keep the mane in the traditional way it does take alot of practice to get it looking right but it's worth it in the end!
If you have the chance to own one go for it you won't regret it!

lazybee

Visit site
Not Fjords but Icelandics (same type)we tried to keep them on the roughest unfertiised grass. Rich grass invited laminitis and obesity. Think of where they come from. Just like many native types.

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
I am owned by a fjord horse, and I absolutely adore him! He is a VERY good-doer, and after two years I can almost get his mane cut correctly :)

Honestly, it is the best breed ever - tough, hardy, weight carriers, brave (most of the time), versatile. If you search on you tube you'll find loads of videos of them doing almost every activity. I can honestly say I will never have another breed of horse, I am hooked!!

Millie82

Visit site
Having owned horses for years I wanted a nice family pony researched several breeds and brought a fjord filly almost a year ago now. She is the best youngster ever! I've cut her mane 4 times now and not done a bad job on any cut, just look on utube how to do it properly, it isnt a drama! I would highly recommend the breed. Although they normally only get to 14.2HH max they are excellent weight carriers and so suitable for adults and their width can take a long leg too. They have such wonderful natures. I love them :) x

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I have to admit only having experience on one Fjord, but he spent many years plodding around the school with my disabled Mum on his back (unfortunately she is too ill to ride now) but my sister still looks after him, she is currently trying to find someone to take him on loan or maybe buy him if it's the right home.

But give him a hug and a polo and he is you best friend in the whole world, absolutely loves attention, from anyone. He actually has a really good pop in him, and adores his hacking. Is a weight carrier, even though he is 14'2hh he really is a 16hh horse on short legs.
The down side, yes he is a fatty, lives on fresh air. Can be a bit of a wuss in certain situations, however a very quick learner, but mainly due to lack of life experience as has literally spent years plodding around the school with my Mum.

I'm totally for the Fjords!

soltydog

Visit site
owned a fjord mare for 5 years, brill breed, can put any novice on her and hack out. Done lots of pleasure rides never gets spooky or wound up when others getting daft round her. Also had a go at x country they are fab all rounders. She will go passed anything out hacking and is a great confidence giver. I have also got her son who is now 2.5 years old totaly horizontal about anything nothing fazes him. They are also big fluffy soffties and love a cuddle. The biggest down size is they often look like a heffa lump despite being on a postage stamp:p

rolocandy73

Visit site
I have two (Sully & Loki) who live with a third (Rolo) and would highly recommend - I'd never have anything else now. I'm pushing 13 stone & my 14h mare carries me with no issues - we compete at dressage (been to the BD regionals, has points and competes up to ele currently), show-jump up to 90cm (but no higher cos I'm a wimp!) and went to both the TREC and Riding Club National Championships last year. She'll hack alone or in company, is pretty much bomb-proof, lives off fresh air and is generally an absolute pleasure to own. I'm hoping that my 18 month old gelding will follow in her footsteps.

Now Rolo on the other hand is a whole other kettle of fish but he's soooooo pretty (and 28 now!) that he gets away it. The moral of his story is never put a bright lazy horse in a riding school - he knows all the tricks! But even he competed up to ele dressage (reluctantly!) and put in enough effort to get placed in a 2'9" SJ class.

The added bonus with a Fjord is that you'll never want for someone to speak to at a show - even if it's only for them to say 'is that an Icelandic'?!

Echo24

Visit site
Rode one at a riding school and was possibly the most fun pony I have ever ridden! He was a right sweetie as well, great to handle for a six year old and certainly not a lazy plod. I'm definitely hooked by the breed and would love to own one in the future when I have a bit more money but you don't see many for sale!

yellowdun

Visit site
Cons: Prone to significant weight gain
Stubborn
Very pushy if not well trained and strong if they tank off - again down to training. Can be very wide and therefore painful on the hips when riding!

Some brought over by dealers have suspect parentage and confirmation so be careful when you buy

Pros: Easiest horses I have ever backed.
Fantastic temperament, good weight carriers, usually bombproof in my experience. Very clever, affectionate and fabulous to look at.

I love them and would recommend them to anyone apart from a novice owner as they can easily take the mickey.

natalia

Visit site
Ive got a stunning fjord x connemara pony who ive just sold and is being delivered to his lucky new mum tomorrow. You can see him under horses for sale on www.ntequine.co.uk he's called Sid. I have had pure fjords but never a cross before and quite honestly this little chap has been one of the sweetest and easiest ponies I've ever had and has taken the best from both breeds! Def would go for another!

arizonahoney

Visit site
I had a fjord x NF on loan and he was awesome! Some pics in my album, if you're interested. Actually he is for sale by his current owners...

picture.php

My friend is selling a purebred fjord gelding - PM if you want more info.

Last edited: