Flank pain - vet stumped

Spacejet

Visit site
Hello

I have a horse that for about 2 months has been exhibiting pain in his left flank area.
Hes not lame in any way, hes had a scope but came back clear.
Physio has been and no issues anywhere else but in the left flank area she said the fascia was very knotted and she smoothed the area out. He hated it at first but soon started pressing into her.
Tried a trinity supplement u33 but this hasnt made any difference. His sheath and willy is fine.
Hes reactive in the flank where the tummy starts to go under and fluffy.
Vet is stumped, wants to try bute trial next. But not sure on next steps from there.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Its definitely not like him he usually lets me touch him anywhere.
He seems ok in himself, maybe slightly lethargic.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could it be hind gut ulcers? They can be hard to diagnose I know my vet was willing to prescribe the treatment after my horse showed some symptoms, it might be worth looking into if not already discussed.

Spacejet

Visit site
I have already asked about hind gut and she said its baaically impossible to diagnose and they would only prescribe medication if a fecal sample came back with certain results

I did try u33 which is for hindgut ulcers but that didn't do anything. ?

racebuddy

Visit site
Mine was so painful flank area he became very sick , he was refered as a emergency and had rectal biolosiws which
Snowed severe inflammation bleeding xx

w1bbler

Visit site
My experience is a long time ago so memory slightly hazy.
Horse was fine in himself but slightly pain where you describe. Pain got gradually worse & horse was slightly depressed, but working well ridden.
Pushed for further investigations & eventually went to horspital where they found a huge growth deep inside ?

Spacejet

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I think im going to request ultrasound next..

@w1bbler what was the growth do you know? Im assuming by nothing could be done he was pts? ?? Did you notice it worsen in certain conditions? Mine seems to have gotten worse with the cold weather..

I had a second vet opinion today, also stumped. He had a sheath clean, found 3 very small beans so waiting a week to see if this has helped at all although I'm not confident as hes only reacting on one side.

Will keep this updated..

Spacejet

Visit site
Hello an update on this

Pony went in to RVC, vets said they couldn't recreate what me and my new vet described where he would bite and threaten to kick if you touched his flank.

New vet who saw him at the field went in and he instantly reacted.

Pony was fine for all his scans even with scanner pressed hard into his flank.
All scans came back clear including his ribs. Had lameness check and hes sound as a pound. Has no health issues apparently.
Second day they wanted to ride him of which he didnt flinch while grooming tacking up and riding, but when i went into arena and touched his flank he swung round to bite. He then done this for anyone else who tried to touch him.

Brought him home and he hates me touching him anywhere, if hes eating hes OK about it. I managed to tack up while eating grass and went for a walk as vet said I should try riding again and see how he goes.

Vets have said to try intense physio, maybe some laser or acupuncture as physio felt tightness before in that flank.

So the mystery continues.... ?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Possibly not related as yours sounds worse but, my boy showed mild discomfort when I touched his flank and I was concerned about potential colic or ulcers but it was actually a bean.

Spacejet

Visit site
He wasnt rugged at vets and isnt rugged at home as hes insanely fluffy.
I gave the vets his usual hard feed.

He wasn't reacting to the vets at RVC but as soon as i touched him he would. And then he was just pissed off and would react to the RVC vets like he did to me. But if we changed the situation from say stable to arena he'd not react at the RVC vets, then I'd touch him and he would react in that left flank and then again react to RVC vets touching him.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Could they rule out sand in the gut from the ultrasound? A horse at my yard had similar symptoms and that was the issue. That might have been diagnosed by x ray possibly? The treatment was feeding psyllium for one week each month. That night be worth a go?

Spacejet

Visit site
Could they rule out sand in the gut from the ultrasound? A horse at my yard had similar symptoms and that was the issue. That might have been diagnosed by x ray possibly? The treatment was feeding psyllium for one week each month. That night be worth a go?
They checked for sand and he was all clear for that, they have literally checked for everything! ?