Flappy Legs?!?!

tash87

Visit site
Can anyone advise of any exercises to stop the lower leg moving about so much when in trot? I don't nag with my legs but if you watch me ride my legs move far too much! Any ideas to reduce this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mavis007

Visit site
My instructor has been known to use baler twine to attach my stirrups to my girth as I have the same problem. It does help, but I have found lots of work without stirrups helps me the most as it helps to get the weight down through your lower leg more and relaxes legs down.

bigboyrocky

Visit site
You need a different saddle i would say :) Ive never done this before, but a horse i had on loan a while ago came with a horrible albion GP, and my legs used to flap a bit in that. Never had the problem before that and have never had it since :)

millitiger

Visit site
ride without stirrups, concentrating on really getting the weight down the back of the leg.

when you take your stirrups back your leg should be much more secure.

even 3-5 minutes at the beginning of the session when you warm up should help.

Tnavas

Visit site
Make sure that you are rising from your knees and not your feet! If you push up off your feet they will flick forward.

Sit astride a chair with feet tucked out of sight and then practise standing up by swinging your hips forward as you open the angle of your knees.

A good exercise is to fit a neck strap around your horse, lose enough that you can hold your hands in the correct place. Fold very slightly forward, use the neck strap to help keep your balance and swing your hips forward until your pelvis is over the front of your saddle, your knees are still slightly bent and - keep your balance for a few strides, then sit softly remembering to bend your knees - Keep repeating the exercise - if you rise correctly then you will find keeping your balance easy - steadily reduce the standing until eventually you are rising in time with the horse.

Honkey : )

Visit site
My instructor always shouts about my "flappy legs" too!

Lunge lessons without stirrups- two of them and i suddenly have ling legs rather than gripping up at the kneee and looking about 3 ft tall when im closer to 6ft!

emm0r

Visit site
LOTS of out the saddle work stand up in trot and canter you will feel the benefit within minutes :) strengthens your legs a good un