Flash nosebands.. help!?

ridersince2002

Visit site
someone has recomended I try a flash on the pony I rode because she goes round with her head in the air and her mouth wide open evading the bit- she's had her teeth, back ect. checked- does anyone know a way I can convert a plain caveson into a flash? I'd rather not buy something new at the
moment until I know if she's going to get along with it as moneys a bit tight, but I do have a flash strap somewhere...
and also, does anyone know wheather you can use flashes when showing?

I know they strap the jaw shut, and if done up too tightly they can damage teeth and cheeks so Im deffinately going to be careful!
it's just I think I would rathe ride her in a snaffle and flash than a Waterford gag which is what she's in at the moment and I dont really want to go on in that if I can help it!
any advice would be appreciated alot :D thanks for reading all this :) x

Henbug

Visit site
You can get very cheaply something to convert a plain cavesson, basically just a piece of leather that goes round the cavesson and then flash loops through to keep it on. Really badly explained but they do make them. will go see if i can find a picture of one to try and explain....

Henbug

Visit site
Found one

picture.php

only about £2 ish

AndySpooner

Visit site
If she's evading the bit, I'd look a bit deeper than strapping her mouth shut. If there is an issue once you have strapped her mouth shut she will find something else to do. Then what?

Divasmum

Visit site
Glad you have sorted out the flash converter. Have you had her teeth done recently? They are worth having checked if you haven't incase they are causing discomfort.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Also change the snaffle to a french link because some ponies don't like the uneven pull the plain snaflle has on the mouth.

huntley

Visit site
I would try a Standing Martingale until you can get the schooling sorted. You can use a running martingale on the cavesson but make sure it is fitted properly otherwise it won't do the job. You may be asking alot going from a Waterford gag to a snaffle - I agree about the french link - maybe a fulmer which again will give more steering.

amandap

Visit site
Visit site
I also prefer using a french link to a single jointed snaffle. I think it would be worth trying her with a flash, but also I would put a running martingale on her if she is trying to evade the bit by carrying her head to high.

ridersince2002

Visit site
she's in a waterford gag as she really leans on my hands and it gives her nothing to lean on, we tried a plain loose ring waterford and she still doesnt go well in that so we tried it in a gag and that was the best sues ever been, but I'd rather not keep her in it forever as I'm not the best of riders and I know that (but I'm not completely useless, I'm 14 and have ridden about 8 years) and I'm scared I'm going to hurt her mouth because my hands arnet always even.
she hates the snaffles with one joint, goes better in a french link, and I now have RSI in my wrist from having her in a jointed kimblewick (the joint stopped the curb from working properly an it was more like a hanging snaffle)

she was never properly broken in because she was quite quiet to break and was owned by a 13yo when she was a baby (she's 16 now) and all she ever did was galloping around the woods, so she was never schooled.
I think that if I had a french link or a dutch gag and a flash it might work because to evade the bit she opens her mouth and chucks her head up, and she's in a martingale and every time her owner sees me ride her she ties another knot in it to make it tighter!

I'm open to any suggestions- i just don't think it's fair on her to be in such a harsh bit, I want to try to school her out of it and I have tried but
our schooling sessions normally consist of alot of bolting.

her teeth, back, tack ect are all fine she's just being her!
again thanks for reading all this, I think it's sort of a more in-depth repeat of my original post :S sorry! and sorry for any spelling mistakes :) x