Flash strap rubbing

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Springy seems to have quite a soft mouth and the skin around her lips is quite prone to being rubbed (can't use a happy mouth bit on her). Anyway she goes nicely in a flash noseband but the strap has rubbed her lip slightly, it seems to sit over one of her whiskers and has caused a little sore
frown.gif
I keep it clean and it is old but very supple leather. Any ideas to help? I rode without a flash the other night and she was a gobby monster, so not really a viable option to leave it off at the moment. I put vaseline on quite regularly which helps, any other tips?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I think its actually rubbing as her whisker is still there but the little bump that is at the base of the whisker has the sore on it.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Just had another thought, my mare has some sores round her mouth/nose at the moment, but these are from eating thistles (about the only thing that is still green in her field!!!). Sudcream works really well (bit messy though).

flyingfeet

Visit site
You could try alternating with a drop or a grackle, this would at least rub in different places and give her skin a chance to heal.

I would also try oiling your strap to keep it as friction free as possible.

Louby

Visit site
This happens to my boy too. He is black and the skin round his muzzle, mouth area is so so soft. I have ended up ditching the flash and yes he is also gobby but he is getting better. I also alternated from a flash to a drop but that rubbed him more. Ive asked my saddler to make a soft cover for my flash strap to see if it helps. Waited ages for it but will let you know how it does if I ever get it!