flat canter

blueunicorn

New User
Visit site
Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest some exercises to improve my horses canter? His left rein canter is fine but his right rein has always been a little flat. His strike off is better on right rein but after the first stride or two it gets lazy and flat. He's competing at elementary and he always gets a few marks less for right canter, this is even more of a problem in counter canter and medium off that rein as they are less good, Its not a major issue just needs improving. He has regular physio so not a physical problem, Any advice would be useful please.

Pigeon

Visit site
Perhaps try asking for a few steps of medium canter on a circle, and then gather back up, and then ask medium again. May give him a little more bounce?

Mavis007

Visit site
Like Pigeon I would try lots of transitions on a circle but I often mix it up a bit to keep them listening and thinking. Think at least 4 canters (poss 5 inc very slow, collected, working, med, extended) and only maximum 1/4 circuit in each but also transitions to canter-trot-canter and canter-walk-canter. He MUST stay forwards and reactive to the leg, if he goes behind the leg really send him then reward and start again. This is really hard work for them so include some walking stretching breaks as well.

kassieg

Visit site
i agree with everyone, transitions within the canter will help a lot

also 1 i like is walk to 6 or 7 strides of canter to a few strides of walk to a few strides of canter etc - on a circle really gets them sharp transitions, sitting on their hind legs & working from behind

HannaST

Visit site
Like CharlieSC says it might be you! :) I would suggest finding an instructor who knows rider biomechanics - Ride With Your Mind (Mary Wanless), Alexander Technique, this type of thing. They should be able to spot any issues. You could also go to a good sports physio or similar. Good luck!

Jango

Visit site
To help build jump in the canter we work on lots of lateral work in the canter, especially away from the leading leg. So if you are in left canter move left and vice versa. Also changing between inside/outside flexion on a 20m circle in true and counter canter. Another one to try is riding diamonds in the canter, really using the outside leg to push them around the corners and so engage the back end. Good luck!

Mike007

Visit site
The very first thing you have to consider is whether you are sitting evenly and squarely .We get so bashed about and dented in this sport that we carry a lot of unevenness forward to our horses. The mechanical horse is a great thing if used with an expert instructor .