Flat feet giving me back ache

ecb89

Visit site
I've got flat feet, I have an arch when my feet aren't on the floor but they drop once I stand.
I wear Ariat grasmeres which were fine for my once weekly lesson at a riding school but now I've got my own horse and doing 5 day full livery and DIY at the weekend my back is killing me after standing around all day at the yard. When it hurts really badly and I bend over I get a massive crack in the bottom half of my spine.
Can anyone recommend any inserts or even new boots which I can wear comfortably all day. The only shoes that don't give me back ache after a long day of standing are my sketchers go walks but they aren't exactly practical on the yard.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I've got flat feet, I have an arch when my feet aren't on the floor but they drop once I stand.
I wear Ariat grasmeres which were fine for my once weekly lesson at a riding school but now I've got my own horse and doing 5 day full livery and DIY at the weekend my back is killing me after standing around all day at the yard. When it hurts really badly and I bend over I get a massive crack in the bottom half of my spine.
Can anyone recommend any inserts or even new boots which I can wear comfortably all day. The only shoes that don't give me back ache after a long day of standing are my sketchers go walks but they aren't exactly practical on the yard.

I feel for you as I had an injury which led to my arches collapsing which now means I get knee trouble as well as aching feet.

ecb89

Visit site
I feel for you as I had an injury which led to my arches collapsing which now means I get knee trouble as well as aching feet.

The pain spreads and travels up my legs. So first I get aching calfs, then hamstrings then finally back. I was standing around for 6 hours yesterday but had to go home in the end because it hurt, I don't want to have to take pain killers

GirlFriday

Visit site
Three things
Flat feet can usually be fixed, to an extent, with exercise (Google good toes, naughty toes and do lots of it whenever you're at your desk
Inserts don't have to be riding ones, get them from a pharmacy/physio (who may have more imaginative exercise ideas)/Gp/etc
Lastly: standing for 6hrs is bad fir anyone. Wtf where you doing?!? Walk around a bit even if you are chatting / watching a lesson/ whatever

ecb89

Visit site
Sorry, bit misleading. I wasn't standing around. I had an hours lesson, mucked out, walked etc. I just meant I didn't actually sit down.
I might try some inserts from the pharmacy first and see how they go.
I did see a chiropodist when I was younger and did all the exercises but I'll start doing them again

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Three things
Flat feet can usually be fixed, to an extent, with exercise (Google good toes, naughty toes and do lots of it whenever you're at your desk
Inserts don't have to be riding ones, get them from a pharmacy/physio (who may have more imaginative exercise ideas)/Gp/etc
Lastly: standing for 6hrs is bad fir anyone. Wtf where you doing?!? Walk around a bit even if you are chatting / watching a lesson/ whatever
Usually be fixed - but not always
Mine cannot be fixed, the arches and bones collapses now, which started as planters facialities and then all the tendons tore so nothing can be done

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
See if you can pop into your local Cotswold Outdoors for advice. I use Superfeet and although expensive I switch them easily between boots.

I've got collapsing arches and an incredible talent for breaking toes but I've walked 8 miles today and don't feel it.

Pilatesclare

Visit site
There are loads of exercises you can do to help strengthen the arches. You can buy orthotics from Boots and places like that but best to get some made for you if you can.
Also Pilates is great for feet, especially if you can find somewhere that has a foot corrector.