Flat sarcoid....

Debsflo1

Visit site
After several viewings and failed vetting we have seen a nice horse that ticks a lot of boxes but has a small flat nodular sarcoid on his groin.
Hes 5 , seller disclosed immediately on viewing but didn't call it a sarcoid and we weren't concerned however vetting is booked with same vet who did one on him last week and buyer withdrew therefore they have disclosed to us.
Seller has adjusted price before readvrrtising.
Should we be concerned.?
Is it a no no or worth a risk as its small settled and may not be an issue.
I appreciate insurers will not cover but we are both anxious about what to do.

Melandmary

Visit site
I suppose it depends how much you are paying for him. When I got Mel she had 3 small and 1 50pence sized sarcoid on her inner thighs. I hadn't noticed them on viewing as she was a hairy mud monster and seller didn't disclose them. I managed to get rid of them within 6 months using thuga cream and then toothpaste. Not saying this is a solution for very serious ones. I would be more worried if the sarcoid was in a place where it would be rubbed on tack for example. The main issue is keeping flies of them as that's how they spread.

Debsflo1

Visit site
Price has been reduced a bit.
Unlikely we could afford him without it however just worried how much of a risk it could be.
Decision made on as much info as possible.
Will flies still be attracted despite being under the skin ?

vhf

Visit site
Complete lottery. Some are never an issue, a good way to get a horse you'd never afford otherwise. Some are a nightmare. I'm not sure quite how you decide which are which, but small flat and settled sounds as promising as you'll get. I think I'd want the likely cost of treatment knocked off the otherwise value of the horse, then I'd put it away somewhere for just in case... (speaking as someone who's paid out on sarcoid treatments. It wasn't pocket money).
Flies especially love the ones with goo... but they are drawn to any variation in skin/hair in my experience,whether a sarcoid or a spot of different coat colour!

Melandmary

Visit site
It is a long time since I researched sarcoid but my mare gets bitten by little black flies on her udder and her inner thighs where the sarcoid were which made them bleed. I am sure at the time I read that flies spread them which is why they can start with one and then get a few in the same area. Covering them with the cream stopped the flies biting her. I am sure someone more knowledgeable on here will be able to better advise but that was just my experience of them. If he fits the bill in all other aspects I would still get him ?

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t give it a second thought! But then that’s because I’ve had a number of horses with minor sarcoids that have been a non issue, and been involved in buying and selling horses well into 5 figures with them without issue!

oldie48

Visit site
Rose had an occult sarcoid on her inner thigh, I mentioned it to the vet doing the vetting and he was not concerned but I got a good reduction on her price. I fed turmeric to her and have absolutely no idea if this helped or not but the sarcoid disappeared. She was a bit run down when I bought her and I think with some TLC her immune system was able to deal with it. In the second year that I had her she got a nodular one on her midline, just in front of her teats. Vet was able to pop that one out. Sarcoids are funny things but you can buy one without and they get one a few weeks later that is a serious problem. If you really like the horse, I'd be inclined to have a punt.

irishdraft

Visit site
My horse has had nodular sarcoids on his sheath and penis for about 11 years . Intermittently I have them banded and they fall off then take 3/4 years to get going again . They have never affected anything I've done with him so if it's a horse you couldn't otherwise afford I would I would be inclined to still have him vetted but nothings certain with sarcoids.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
In the groin and a single, I wouldn't worry about it at all (especially if you can't afford the horse otherwise) but if it hasn't gone spontaneously by the time the horse is six, I would get it lasered out to see the back of it.

FWIW I have a lot of experience with sarcoids.

Squeak

Visit site
Another who one small sarcoid on the groin that hasn't done anything wouldn't put me off but I would want the relevant reduction in cost. If the were somewhere like the girth area then it would be a different conversation.

Debsflo1

Visit site
Thanks all.
We will discuss with vet and seller.
Its just the one as far as we know on groin.
Its so hard to find the right one and hopefully we can proceed .
Its not open ,feels like a small pea.under the skin

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Little cob had a small sarcoid, then the flies started at it and within weeks it went from pea sized and inoffensive to golf ball sized and ulcerated. We then found 4 more that hadn't been there so opted for laser treatment. Cost about 350 in total and he's now healed with no further issues. They were on his inner thighs and sheath.

Elno

Visit site
I recently discovered small sarcoids on mine-one on the inner thigh and one on the belly some centimeters above her udders. Had to read up on them a bit since sarcoids in a human is something entirely different. I understand it as if they are small and sit in a "good" place-ie not the face or girth area or any other place where a potential accalerated growth would be really unwanted, it is better to leave them be. I plan to leave my horses sarcoids be until the vet comes it in september to vaccinate, and then we'll discuss what we'll do with them. Apparently Aldara cream is very effective.

If you listen to podcasts, there is a vet called Erica Latcher (Straight from the horse doctors mouth) who did an episode on sarcoids.You can find it on Spotify. S3e6 I think it is.

Oh, and I would buy the horse.

Debsflo1

Visit site
Little cob had a small sarcoid, then the flies started at it and within weeks it went from pea sized and inoffensive to golf ball sized and ulcerated. We then found 4 more that hadn't been there so opted for laser treatment. Cost about 350 in total and he's now healed with no further issues. They were on his inner thighs and sheath.
Sounds like its now more common to laser which sounds hopeful if we proceed.
Aware he may be more predisposed to them

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sounds like its now more common to laser which sounds hopeful if we proceed.
Aware he may be more predisposed to them

He shouldn't be predisposed with only one at 5. It's multiples that are the problem and my vet tells me that you are unlucky to get more after 6, when the immune system is usually on top of things by that age.

I've had two horses with multiples who sprung out more when they were stressed but none after 6 years old. And at least six others with singles who never had more than the one.

J&S

Visit site
I unwittingly bought this coloured mare with a propensity to sarcoids, some cropped up at 5 yrs old. Dealt with them with a homeopathic vet and freezing. 20 years ownership and never seen another one.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Mine has a few sarcoid around his armpits and his bits. He also started growing one on his face. I’ve had him since he was 1 so not a case of being able to pass over a purchase but since feeding him turmeric (the correct way with black pepper etc) the one on his face and one armpit have completely gone. None of them impact him and seem well controlled but each horse seems to differ as to how likely they are to spread or pop up in inconvenient areas

paddy555

Visit site
After several viewings and failed vetting we have seen a nice horse that ticks a lot of boxes but has a small flat nodular sarcoid on his groin.
Hes 5 , seller disclosed immediately on viewing but didn't call it a sarcoid and we weren't concerned however vetting is booked with same vet who did one on him last week and buyer withdrew therefore they have disclosed to us.
Seller has adjusted price before readvrrtising.
Should we be concerned.?
Is it a no no or worth a risk as its small settled and may not be an issue.
I appreciate insurers will not cover but we are both anxious about what to do.

presumably the first buyer's vet was unhappy if that is the reason it didn't pass.

For me absolutely no way, even with a reduced price, would I buy. The only thing that would persuade me otherwise for a very special horse would be Dr Knott's opinion as to what it was, what the potential for problems were, how it could be treated and what the likely success would be.

I cannot see how you can say it is settled. I bought a 6 yo with just about the same as you describe. Passed the vetting and the vet pointed it out but advised it was going no where and no reason not to buy. It certainly went places! everywhere! That horse was retired early for other reasons but if he hadn't been he would have been unrideable due to the spread.
Trying to keep getting them removed and keeping up with the spread would probably have bankrupted me:eek:

I have little confidence in a horse vet diagnosing sarcoids. That vet got it wrong. Last summer one of my boys got what I thought was a fly bite. The "S" word started to come to mind. Vet came out and decided a sarcoid. Due to it's position it had to be removed. Treatment was going to be pretty nasty. Second vet looked at it. Sarcoid and something had to be done. Both of these vets only dealt with horses and were very experienced. They were excellent as before treating it they insisted pics sent to Dr K to decide the way forward,

Somehow I got lucky as Dr K came back and didn't think it was a sarcoid. It had to be removed (had to be whatever it was) and go off to the lab. Results came back not a sarcoid.

My own vet who I trust hates sarcoids, says you never know what is going to happen. I know there is no way he would let a horse pass a vetting with any.

I haven't read the other replies, this is just based on my own experience plus I buy a horse to make a success and to try and enjoy it not to worry about something. The horse usually comes up with lots of other things for me to worry about, :D

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve had really mixed experiences ranging from ones with a single, small nodular sarcoid which disappeared on its own to out of control all over body nightmares that have resulted in PTS (were on horses eyelids in the end). There is currently a horse on my yard (not mine!) that is covered in them and showing no signs of them being contained.

I think it’s a calculated risk and I’d expect a price reduction to at least cover the cost of treating what’s already there. One small sarcoid wouldn’t particularly worry me. The prolific cases I refer to above were in horses with other issues/ generally run-down so I think if the horse is otherwise in good form I’d consider it. From experience, I think there’s a strong correlation between managing sarcoids and gut health....but then you could probably say that about everything equine!

SpottyTB

Visit site
If the horse ticks all of your boxes, then for me, I'd go for it. I bought a mare who had two sarcoids in her groin area, one between her teats and a huge one (not flat) just in front. When we bought her someone had tried to band it themselves - and failed. She was uncomfortable even letting us look at it but over time she got over it and we could touch it no problem. I fed her tumeric and applied thuja cream and it shrivelled up and dropped off. Obviously I know that doesn't mean a great deal (iceberg effect) BUT the mare ticked all of our boxes when we bought her, priced accordingly and so we went for it. Haven't regretted it at all.

Even if the sarcoid hadn't dropped off, it wouldn't bother me. If it doesn't bother the horse and you can do everything you want to do with it - then go for it.

I saw a lovely black ISH ( i think it was ) on FB a month or so back for sale with a dealer/producer (not quite sure which) and it looked absolutely lovely - my cup of tea 100%. Had been snapped up quite quickly and then they dropped out because it had a wart / sarcoid. It wasn't in an area that would effect it (girth/saddle/bridle area etc) and I just thought what a shame ! If I was looking I'd have been sorely tempted !!

Last edited: