FLEAS!! Best treatment??

cowgirl16

Visit site
Went to the vets the other day to get some Frontline spray, to be told they no longer sell it as it's become less effective.
Any recommendations? Needs to be used on the cat too! Tried spot-on treatments before, and they send them both loopy. Looks like I can still get it online, but if it's not going to work there's no point!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Do be careful with "Spot on" treatments as once its on, its on, and you can't take it off, whereas with a flea collar at least you can remove the offending article if the dog reacts.

I remember a few years ago buying a "Bob Martin" flea collar for my little terrier, within ten minutes of putting it on her, she was reacting very negatively, i.e. agitated and obviously not happy, so I took it off. I then came across something on-line about dogs who'd died, yes died, because of the Bob Martin pour-on treatment :(

I get my two a flea collar each, from the vets. They are not as cheap as the ones you can buy over-the-counter, but do last for nine months, and seem to be effective.

That is what I would recommend, personally.

(edited) also bear in mind that you may need to treat your house and the dogs bedding too, an aerosol of "Indorex" or similar should do the trick. Don't forget to re-apply too so as to fully cover the life-cycle of the flea.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yup, Indorex/RIP Flea/Acclaim or similar for the house, to take care of the larval stages that spot-on or tablet treatments often don't if they're non prescription stuff. Frontline will work just fine if combined with house spray use. IIRC Advantage is one of the few non prescription products that has environmental control.

Alternatively a prescription product from the vet used regularly (it can take a good three months to clear if the environment is infested) - Advocate, Stronghold, Bravecto, Nexgard etc.

TheFizzPony

Visit site
We were recommended advantage and since using it as opposed to frontline I (touch wood) haven't seen a flea on out cats! You don't need a prescription for it either, although I have just read you don't want spot on and that's what it is...

Alternatively treat the house and not the animals as 95% of a flea's lifecycle is not on the animal and instead is in carpets, bedding etc

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I use Advantage on the cats and have done on the dogs as well.I am currently trying out flea control only on the cats to see how we go. One dog does react briefly to Advantage but he's the only one I've known do it.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I can't use spot on treatments on one of my dogs who has been burned by them in the past - and my bitch can be sensitive skinned too. So they are both on Bravecto for flea and tick.

Soup Dragon

Visit site
We've been having problems with fleas and looking for a non chemical solution was advised salt. If you look up using salt to get rid of fleas that is a fair amount of information. Within a day of covering the carpets and soft furnishing with salt we had a reduction of fleas so it appears it works. It is also really cheap. Not treated the animals with it but I think I remember reading that you can.

Moobli

Visit site
Do your dogs/cats actually have fleas or is it a preventative measure? I never treat unless I see fleas (and haven't seen any in over 15 years, but I don't have cats).

cowgirl16

Visit site
Do your dogs/cats actually have fleas or is it a preventative measure? I never treat unless I see fleas (and haven't seen any in over 15 years, but I don't have cats).

They both have the little blighters. Doing quite well with a flea comb on the cat, but combing the dog would be a major operation! I'll get some stuff for the house - doing lots of vacuuming but think we need to up the ante!

Peter7917

Visit site
My dogs tend to get fleas on occasion. My cats however, have never had fleas. They live in the same house as the dogs. How is this even possible? !

Umbongo

Visit site
What spot on treatments have you tried? In practice I have always seen good results with Advocate or Stronghold.
If you don't want to use a spot-on, then nexgard or Bravecto chewy tablets, serestro collars.
Also agree with spraying the house and make sure you keep on top of regular flea treatment, it can take up to 3 months to break the cycle.