Fleas!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Spotted some of the evil little blighters on Juno the other week; we bathed both dogs in flea shampoo, gave them their flea treatment early (Advocate I think) washed the bedding, sprayed the house and office, and thought we had it under control. Suzie definitely was better, but Juno continued scratching, especially around her nipples, so I did a nipple inspection and she had some dried blood where she's been scratching so much, also a little around her lady parts where she must have been chewing. Mr JB took her to the vet, who pronounced that she still has fleas, persistent things. He has given us some Bravecto, some steroid cream for the sore bits, and instructions to wash bedding again but he said that the spray can cause irritation, so not to use that.

When Mr JB was out with them yesterday, he was talking to a fellow dog walker who said she is a vet, and she uses the serestro flea collars instead which work for both fleas and ticks, and last for a few months apparently.

So my question for the HHO AAD community is...are they any good? I presume there's no point getting one now until next spring as hopefully the winter weather will kill them all off shortly.

Also, any other ideas for easing Juno's scratching as it hasn't stopped yet!

Photo Tax:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

deb_l222

Visit site
I'm still using Frontline spray and it does work, even though reports suggest all fleas everywhere have become resistant :rolleyes:

My dogs get re-infested from the hedgehogs that visit the garden. Well, I'm convinced it's them. They don't actually come into contact with the hogs but do mooch in the same places, just at different times of the day. I've not seen the hogs for a while so I'm not expecting to see any fleas now either.

Fabulous piccie :)

nellietinker

Visit site
We used a serestro collar on our Kelpie x collie and she was distressed by it so we had to stop using it after a couple of days - she is fine with any other collar on.

pippixox

Visit site
I have been in France the last 6 months in an area where ticks are really bad. in the past my dogs have also picked up fleas numerous times hanging around farm barns with rats and semi-feral cats.... they wore the collars and no ticks (first month without I removed 10 some days even though I used a spot on just before we came out that was meant to stop them) or fleas. don't seem to have an adverse effects. been swimming and still lasted 6 months before I have taken them off for a little break as tick season seem to be over.

only thing I found is that they are relatively thick and had to loosen their normal collars so they didn't bunch up together and get uncomfortable

pippixox

Visit site
30 pounds for 6 (they say up to 8 but mine are regular swimmers) months protection makes it quite good value too in my opinion.

I did try natural remedies but it simply didn't work

GSD Woman

Visit site
I've used Nex-Guard, Advantage, Advantix, Simparica and have just tried Bravecto. I live in the land of fleas and ticks. Our winters are often not hard enough to kill the ticks. Frontline doesn't seem to work very well around here though I know some people who still swear by it. The Seresto collars are supposed to be good but my dogs play with each other by grabbing around the neck, so I won't risk them.
I have switched flea and tick stuff simply because it depends on what I can get at a reasonable price.

elizabeth1

Visit site
Not used the collars, but use Nexgaurd. Never a flea or tick in sight.
I always use the collars on mine as ticks can be a bugger to spot in malamute fur and I've always found them really good.
Either of these options is recommended by my vet
You can now buy seresto collars online without a prescription
I think the problem of fleas is not a seasonal one anymore because of central heating

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Jake wears a Seresto collar, he had his spleen removed in April and we couldn't risk him having an adverse reaction to a spot on or oral flea and tick treatment. We plumped for the collar because it could be easily removed if he did have an issue. No fleas and despite many walks in area known for deer ticks I haven't spotted anything on him and I do check very carefully. I'd recommend. 🐾😍