Flex hoof boots

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm just wondering if anyone has used the flex hoof boots and how you found them if so? I'm specifically interested in grip and ability to stay on as we have some challenging conditions round here including greasy clay and deep sand.

I'm currently using Scoots and they're good but putting them on with the mud straps is a real pain and starting to get on my nerves!

lilly1

Visit site
Hi, I have some and really rate them. I've not tested them at a fast pace or on much grass but so far they have proved to have excellent grip on roads, gravel and rough terrain. We have some incredibly steep hills by me and my horse steps out confidently.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm just wondering if anyone has used the flex hoof boots and how you found them if so? I'm specifically interested in grip and ability to stay on as we have some challenging conditions round here including greasy clay and deep sand.

I'm currently using Scoots and they're good but putting them on with the mud straps is a real pain and starting to get on my nerves!

can't comment on the flex but, oh boy, I can feel your frustration on scoot mud straps. I never found an answer and moved back to gloves. Grip not quite so good on slick grass, but they stay on in mud and are easy to put on. I complained to scoot about the mud straps. I got sent some more but no better. There are videos about how to use string to get them through the joiner. I didn't buy a product to have to resort to you tube videos as to how to use them as they are so difficult. I expect them to work straight out of the packet.
I feel your pain! :eek:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
How do you put on the mud straps? Once I got the knack they are no bother. I never remove them from the boots.

paddy555

Visit site
How do you put on the mud straps? Once I got the knack they are no bother. I never remove them from the boots.

I left them on the boots, one end of the mud strap threaded thro the collar and then through the bottom front strap. So I only had to thread the other end thro the collar and then the bottom front strap. It was a PITA. I was just crawling around on the floor trying to get it thro the collar. Not worth the effort on all 4 boots. Just didn't have the time or the patience. Without it they came off. Thank heavens for coloured pastern straps. That was the only reason I found it. Then one of the hinds rubbed so a boot that rubbed and wouldn't even stay on in mud anyway was a no go.

Gloi

Visit site
Why did you take the other end off the front strap?
Just stick the hoof through the mud strap with the slider down ,pull the slider up and fasten the front straps. If you can't get the hoof through get a longer strap. I had a wriggly youngster when I first started using them and I'd never have been able to slide them on the front strap when the boots were on the feet. I find they hardly take any more time than the boots without the mud straps on.

paddy555

Visit site
Why did you take the other end off the front strap?
Just stick the hoof through the mud strap with the slider down ,pull the slider up and fasten the front straps. If you can't get the hoof through get a longer strap. I had a wriggly youngster when I first started using them and I'd never have been able to slide them on the front strap when the boots were on the feet. I find they hardly take any more time than the boots without the mud straps on.

I put them on per the scoot video. I think you are saying you leave both straps thro the collar and both on the front strap. The strap wasn't long enough to allow for that. If I had got a longer strap (at £20) a pair then I cannot see the strap would have been tight enough to keep the boot on.? If you do this with a longer strap and pull the slider up to tighten it around the leg don't you end up with a lot of excess strap below the slider?

I'm curious so will try it later.

Gloi

Visit site
I found mine a bit tight to get through so I cut the slider in half to make more room to get the hoof through and have half a slider on each boot. Next time I'm buying the next size up mud straps.

HelenBack

Visit site
I left them on the boots, one end of the mud strap threaded thro the collar and then through the bottom front strap. So I only had to thread the other end thro the collar and then the bottom front strap. It was a PITA. I was just crawling around on the floor trying to get it thro the collar. Not worth the effort on all 4 boots. Just didn't have the time or the patience. Without it they came off. Thank heavens for coloured pastern straps. That was the only reason I found it. Then one of the hinds rubbed so a boot that rubbed and wouldn't even stay on in mud anyway was a no go.

Thanks for all the comments on this. I've been doing the same as this with the mud straps and also find it a PITA, especially when it's cold, my hands don't want to work and the rubber on the boots doesn't seem as stretchy. The most annoying bit is when you get the front straps nearly fastened and then they ping away again and I usually scratch my hand on the floor or the boot!

I'm going to try the method of leaving everything attached but I'm not sure his feet will go into the boots this way and I've already gone up one size from the recommendation in the mud straps. Will see how I get on anyway.

I've a funny feeling I will end up getting some fit kits for the flex and the gloves to see how they fit and have a look at the tread. They both look very similar so worth seeing about them both I think.

can't comment on the flex but, oh boy, I can feel your frustration on scoot mud straps. I never found an answer and moved back to gloves. Grip not quite so good on slick grass, but they stay on in mud and are easy to put on. I complained to scoot about the mud straps. I got sent some more but no better. There are videos about how to use string to get them through the joiner. I didn't buy a product to have to resort to you tube videos as to how to use them as they are so difficult. I expect them to work straight out of the packet.
I feel your pain! :eek:

I'd originally shied away from the gloves as I read somewhere that for them to be a good fit they ideally need to be a bit difficult to get on and that put me off! I thought I read something about needing to bash them on with a mallet. Do you not find that to be the case? And do you use one of the power strap thingies or not find it necessary?

paddy555

Visit site
Helen, GLOVES
some times the power straps are needed and on some feet they are not. They are not a problem. In fact if you buy brightly coloured ones they are an advantage to check the boots are in place.

They are not difficult to get on. A lot quicker than the scoots as there is only the gaiter to fasten and that is a big wide thing easy to get hold of.
There is a knack to getting them on and once you have done it a few times they are easy. I don't use a mallet. On some (I have used gloves for many years) you don't need anything and for others I just use the end of a log destined for the wood burner. Just put the boot on and a quick tap.

The advantages of the gloves that I have found (over any other boot) is how quick and easy they are to put on and off. They stay on in mud, I often ride on bog with the bog over the boots so it anything is going to pull them off that should but they stay in place.

The disadvantage is they are not as quick to wash a scoots. The grip is not quite as good on some horses although I have found on many grip is dependent on the horse's ability to control slipping.

I would be interested if you try the flex to see how you get on. (or anyone else using them)

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm still relatively new to boots as my horse has only been barefoot for about a year following various lameness issues. For the first six months or so we just wandered about in hand so clumpy boots were fine and even over the summer when everywhere was dry I still found these okay for general hacking including some canter work. It's only now that everywhere is getting wet and boggy and we're probably doing a bit more again that I'm starting to struggle a bit and looking more into the performance type boots.

I'm actually still using old macs in front so I can use a pad and I find these pretty much fine - grip seems to be okay and they never go anywhere with having the pastern strap. I don't find they take too long to squirt with the hosepipe either and sometimes I can get away with just brushing the worst bits of mud off. So the quest at the moment is for his back feet and then I expect in time I'll probably look to upgrade in front too so long as he carries on to be okay.

I think I've turned into a hoof boot junky though! I'm constantly looking at the different models and size guides and so on and wondering how the different types will perform. I've tried quite a few of the more clumpy boots already so I guess now it's time to do the same with the lower profile ones!

It's interesting what you say about grip and I suppose maybe my horse will still be in a period of learning to grip in boots as opposed to shoes. What I've found so far is that he doesn't necessarily slip more often in boots than he did in shoes but when he does he'll travel further and faster and that gives me the willies! I think I am learning more the types of going that are more likely to cause a slip though so am starting to choose routes depending on the weather and the going. Hopefully we'll continue to work things out as we go along and get a bit more experience.

Gloi

Visit site
I've tried Gloves in the past but had problems with them coming off and the the gaiter getting stood on and torn ☹️. I used easyboot epics for years and they stayed on well but hated dealing with wet muddy gaiters all winter with no way to dry them except by taking them home. I really like that scoots only need a squirt with the hose and they can be put away.
As for grip I mainly ride on road or gravel tracks so no problems there. I am paranoid on slidey mud since getting injured when my old boa boots slipped and my pony went flying ☹️☹️. The scoots are better but I am wary. The best were easyboot grips but they are no longer made.

Last edited:

Gloi

Visit site
Try the mud straps off the boot. If you can get it over the hoof with the slider in position as it would be normally you can get them on when fastened to the boot though there is aknack to it.

HelenBack

Visit site
I've tried Gloves in the past but had problems with them coming off and the the gaiter getting stood on and torn ☹️. I used easyboot epics for years and they stayed on well but hated dealing with wet muddy gaiters all winter with no way to dry them except by taking them home. I really like that scoots only need a squirt with the hose and they can be put away.
As for grip I mainly ride on road or gravel tracks so no problems there. I am paranoid on slidey mud since getting injured when my old boa boots slipped and my pony went flying ☹️☹️. The scoots are better but I am wary. The best were easyboot grips but they are no longer made.

And herein lies the issue really because what one person loves another hates! I suppose it's going to be trial and error to find out what works best for my personal circumstances. You do have a point about the gaiters being wet all the time in the winter so yet another factor to consider.

I do see actually that you can get little studs for both the Scoots and the Gloves so this could be something to consider but then you'd probably not want to spend too much time on roads or firm tracks with those in. I think for some of the greasy mud by us there would probably come a point in winter where I would just avoid it altogether and pick different routes.

Try the mud straps off the boot. If you can get it over the hoof with the slider in position as it would be normally you can get them on when fastened to the boot though there is aknack to it.

That's a good tip, I think I'll give it a go when I'm at the yard later as I'm not riding tonight and have a bit of time to faff. Thanks.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Just to throw another boot into the mix. :)

Renegade Vipers. I haven't had mine that long, but they've stayed on in mud at canter and at gallop. They also seem to have pretty good grip, no slipping and horse definitely moved better in them than in his heavier boots. I get the impression they are easier to get a good fit as they come in a variety of sizes whereas Scoots are pretty round. I find they wash and dry well as the only material is neoprene so doesn't hold the water.

I haven't tried the Flex Boots.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I've just got Scoot mud straps and they are a fiddle but seem to do the job. Surely if you can put the boot on with the mud strap still looped over the front strap they are too long?

HelenBack

Visit site
Just to throw another boot into the mix. :)

Renegade Vipers. I haven't had mine that long, but they've stayed on in mud at canter and at gallop. They also seem to have pretty good grip, no slipping and horse definitely moved better in them than in his heavier boots. I get the impression they are easier to get a good fit as they come in a variety of sizes whereas Scoots are pretty round. I find they wash and dry well as the only material is neoprene so doesn't hold the water.

I haven't tried the Flex Boots.

I did try a Viper shell actually and wasn't sure about the fit so decided against it. My horse has hock arthritis and I like to use a slim pad in the boots to provide some cushioning for his joints and I didn't think it would have worked with the Vipers. Not sure a pad is actually necessary at the moment given that the ground is soft but it gives me peace of mind, especially when we do more road based rides. I did like the tread on the Vipers though and agree with you that my horse also seems to move better in the lighter Scoot than the more clumpy ones we've used, which makes sense really doesn't it? I'll definitely be keeping the Vipers in mind for the future depending on how it goes with using pads.

I've just got Scoot mud straps and they are a fiddle but seem to do the job. Surely if you can put the boot on with the mud strap still looped over the front strap they are too long?

I tried it last night. The mud straps passed over his feet easily enough when I didn't have them attached to the boot but once I attached them back on to the front strap again it was a bit of a wrestle and the horse went in a strop. So I'll need to carry on as I was I think and perhaps see if I can work on my technique for getting them on with everything attached!