Flexi vs wide footbed stirrups for dodgy ankles?

fuze

Visit site
Any experiences? My ankles / knees are terrible for locking on me, especially when out hacking. We went on a 2hr ride a couple of days ago and was in utter agony by the time we got back :eek:

I'm looking at Sprengers, cheaper flexi type stirrups, wide stirrups (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STIRRUPS-...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item3f2318c63c), wide angled stirrups (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorenzini...quipment&var=620054854307&hash=item51a01d0f39).

Now I'm confused! Any experiences appreciated!

mynutmeg

Visit site
Neither of the ones you've posted are flexible
These are the best type of flexible http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXI-SAF...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item4ac215b8f1
The do come in normal silver http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JHL-Pro-S...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item232462472c

You can get the exact same and pay more for a branded name as well but I use cheap ones and find them excellent. I have severe arthritis in both ankles that has resulted in both being fused and can't ride in normal stirrups for more than 10-15 minutes without severe pain and everything seizing up. This sytle are brilliant and I'm not limited now.

fuze

Visit site
I'm aware they're not flexible, but I've heard the wider treads can help aswell? Just curious as to whether anyone has tried them :)

I'm wondering if the cheaper flexis are as strong as the Sprengers?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I can't do normal stirrups or I'm in agony.

I have had opperations to remove bits of fiburious tissue in both my ankles but the are still very sore even though I have the movement back.
I have to have the flexi stirrups as the shock obsorbtion is the thing that helps.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Have got some Royal Riders Classic Flex and am pretty happy with them. (not the ones from John Whittaker range)
However I only have the cheese-grater tread, not the rubber as these were 2nd hand with my last horse.

Was not pleasant changing to using std stirrups last year for a ride on a friends horse.

Last edited:

s4sugar

Visit site
Try the Compositi ones - you can get them from Decathlon - they help my dodgy ankles & knee better than the Sprengers I tried.

blood_magik

Visit site
Whitaker does a set of flexis with air cushions beneath the treads.

I have a pair of them and a pair of sprengers and I can't tell the difference. They're a bit cheaper than the sprengers as well - under £100.

I was loathe to pay £145 for another pair of sprengers when I wasn't going to be jumping in them. :eek:

mynutmeg

Visit site
I'm aware they're not flexible, but I've heard the wider treads can help aswell? Just curious as to whether anyone has tried them :)

I'm wondering if the cheaper flexis are as strong as the Sprengers?

I don't know about the sprengers but mine cost £25 and have been going strong for about 4 years now and I'm not the smallest person.

Django Pony

Visit site
Can't quote as on my tablet, but another vote here for the flexible irons with air cushions. Google "Metalab Air System stirrups". Mine were £80ish. They have really helped with my dodgy knees and ankles!

fuze

Visit site
Thanks! I've had a mooch at the ones that have been brought up... just ordered myself some of the Reflex stirrups to try, mainly because I found these rather colourful ones for £20 ;) http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Compositi_Reflex_Stirrups-(3650).aspx

I'll bear the others in mind for if they don't do the trick - as for the Metalab ones... endorsed by Anky Van Grunsven? Wouldn't touch with a bargepole :eek: Sorry!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I've ridden in flexi stirrups for about 8 yrs and they are the best thing! doesn't make it 100% comfy but makes it a lot better! a few years ago I found out on leg was about 1.5cm longer than the other, which is why I suffered loads, and explains why my stirrup leathers were never comfy on the same number whole! I went through about 10 sets of leathers, and it was only when I got the new irons that it made things for comfy! I don't remember what make mine are though!

pip6

Visit site
Doing endurance I use wide footrest plastic stirrups. They cushion brilliantly, but I have to say having a dodgy ankle myself I find this still needs strapping if I'm riding for 3 hrs+ or for serious faster work. Can buy them on any endurance supply website, performance equestrian best known. Also try raddery equine, I've used them before & they were very helpful.

If you find you need more support have a look at kivell stirrups. Wouldn't be able to use them personally, but a friend who is disabled uses them & she does endurance rides of 40km+. Will have to google them for a gb supplier. If you can't find one, let me know & I can make enquiries on endurancegb forum for you, as I know there is a supplier who goes on there.

Good luck, these stirrups really work. I suggest caged ones, then you can wear any footwear with them. Expect a lot of micky taking from other riders, I've had no end of it for my tack from other liveries. If you do something 'different' people (especially horsey women) can be b*tches. Don't let it put you, these endurance stirrups can really make a huge difference.