Flexible trugs with durable handles

Sophie C

Visit site
My feed bowls and large trugs (used as stable water bucket) have given up the ghost after 3 years as each one now has a broken handle. Can anyone recommend a brand of really strong food-grade trugs that are flexible so handles don't snap in cold temperatures?

SilverLinings

Visit site
As @cauda equina says it is easy to make new handles. You can also make the holes using an electric drill which I find esier than a punch. A pair of snips or a hacksaw can be used to remove the rough bit where the handle broke off, and I've found that once rope handles have been added the trugs seem to last forever :)

paddy555

Visit site
My feed bowls and large trugs (used as stable water bucket) have given up the ghost after 3 years as each one now has a broken handle. Can anyone recommend a brand of really strong food-grade trugs that are flexible so handles don't snap in cold temperatures?
I went through this and put new handles on but finally had to replace them. I am pleased so far with Red gorilla. Not the cheapest but I feel they will last.

PurBee

Visit site
You get recycled thick rubber feed bowls -i really rate them, mine have lasted 10yrs so far.
The only downside is they’re quite shallow, (unless deeper ones are available now), so if you feed large mash meals for instance, they are likely too shallow. Theyre great for a couple of scoops of soaked beet to add minerals etc to.

You can also get ‘tuff trugs’ (or something like that brand name) - theyre a thicker (black) 40ltr plastic trug, that dont split at the bottom like the cheaper trugs. The handles are much tougher and withstand my gelding throwing them about and chewing on the handles. Highly rate then. I got mine i think from viovet.vo.uk.

Household thinner plastic trugs tend to split easily at the bottom, and one side of the handle always breaks off. They might not be so UV resilient, as i recycled broken handles split bottom ones for use as large garden planters, and they’ve split top to bottom allover. The black ones survive better outside, the coloured ones have split.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think mine are Red Gorilla and are least a couple of years old, now. I like the fact you can buy plastic tops for them too!

Kaylum

Visit site
You get recycled thick rubber feed bowls -i really rate them, mine have lasted 10yrs so far.
The only downside is they’re quite shallow, (unless deeper ones are available now), so if you feed large mash meals for instance, they are likely too shallow. Theyre great for a couple of scoops of soaked beet to add minerals etc to.

You can also get ‘tuff trugs’ (or something like that brand name) - theyre a thicker (black) 40ltr plastic trug, that dont split at the bottom like the cheaper trugs. The handles are much tougher and withstand my gelding throwing them about and chewing on the handles. Highly rate then. I got mine i think from viovet.vo.uk.

Household thinner plastic trugs tend to split easily at the bottom, and one side of the handle always breaks off. They might not be so UV resilient, as i recycled broken handles split bottom ones for use as large garden planters, and they’ve split top to bottom allover. The black ones survive better outside, the coloured ones have split.
I think we have had some deeper ones in before of the tyre types. They are the best