Flies biting inside my horses ears and all a bit bloody!

ropa

Visit site
Does anyone else have a horse with ears that the flies seem to like biting. It is all a bit bloody inside his ears and the flies won't stop sitting in them! Causing my boy quite a bit of irritation. He also hates fly masks. Not sure if there is another solution? I also can't clean his ears as he won't let me near them! Doh!

EllaRidesHorses

Visit site
Perhaps try putting Sudocrem or Udder cream in them (and if he won't let you near them maybe try a natural sedative), and don't clip the insides of his ears, fluffy ears make it harder for the flies to get in.

CazD

Visit site
My mare suffers really badly too. She's chestnut and I wonder if her colour makes a difference. Fortunately she is happy to wear a fly mask as otherwise her ears end up all bloody and scabby.

mynutmeg

Visit site
yup, Roo gets very badly bitten down her ears - the few occasions she doesn't have a mask on I use NAF DItch ointment down them - stops the itch and keeps the flies out to stop them biting her again.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My old boy (bay) used to get bitten inside his ears like this all the time, poor old lad.

If you can, and horse will allow, the best thing you can do is put something on the hair inside and around the ear that the flies/midges etc hate; they won't go near if the surface is oily so I'd be inclined to use something like Tea Tree or Neem oil which should be soothing and shouldn't irritate the problem further.

Alternatively, you may have to get an ear covering thingey for him; some horses can deal with it, some not. You might have to introduce it gradually. I'd certainly think about putting an ear covering/fly mask on him if he's turned out (tho' not 24/7), also you can get little ear-glove "hats" for when you're riding. They're invaluable IMO.

ropa

Visit site
He is retired and out 22/7. Hardly any ear hair to talk of. More chance of catching the flies and telling them to stay away than getting near his ears. He is a very opinionated and a bolshy big wb and the livery peeps won't be able to get ointment in. May try and get a fly mask on him again but the year I did try he turned into a head shy idiot. He is a real loveable rogue (who doesn't know what's best for him!)

ropa

Visit site
Any recommendations on best fly mask. I hVe the bee keepers big one for my mare but don't know if there are better easier to fit ones?!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Does anyone else have a horse with ears that the flies seem to like biting. It is all a bit bloody inside his ears and the flies won't stop sitting in them! Causing my boy quite a bit of irritation. He also hates fly masks. Not sure if there is another solution? I also can't clean his ears as he won't let me near them! Doh!

Yes we have them and when you squeeze the ear the flies pop and leave bloody mess.

Two solutions works

1 a fly hood
2. Radiol fly creme, takes 20 mins to become effective and last 24 hrs, its brilliant and you can use it round genitals and and bald patches underneath.
Radiol Fly Repellent Cream is a specially formulated cream that targets flies, midges, gnats and other horse biting insects. Containing the active ingredient DEET, Radiol Fly Repellent Cream is blended with soothing botanicals to provide rapid comfort following bites. An economical and effective lotion, highly recommended
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Radiol_Fly_..._find=131633&gclid=CLGKz_LVkL4CFaMSwwodd4kAbg

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
My boy gets eaten alive in his ears, never know a horse so bad :( last summer I tried 3 different fly masks and he got every single one off so I gave up and plastered sudocrem in his ears everyday. Worked great but got really disgusting and looked awful!

This year I've bought a shires fly mask and so far its been fab! His ears are hardly scabby and no sudocrem needed! I did turn him out last week for half an hour without it ad thought it would be fine but they got him then!

I also make sure he is always ridden with a fly veil on.

Floxie

Visit site
First year I've noticed it myself - I try masks on him to protect his pink nose from the sun but he always gets them off. I slapped his ears full of Vaseline and he must have found it a relief because he really hates having his ears messed with but he loved having that rubbed in! Looks awful but I doubt a fly would find its way through that sticky mess :)

Talyn

Visit site
Sounds like black fly - they will bite the horses in places where there is little fur covering ie: inside the ears, under the belly etc. Apparently the best thing to use is vaseline as this make the horses skin to slippy for them to get a grip on.

ropa

Visit site
Tell me you got this shires mask...! I love it! https://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=16663&cat=668&page=1

Sadly I can't get anywhere near my boys ears to out anything in them. I could just leave him to shake the flys off I guess but ordinarily I would buy him something as he is pampered to within an inch of his life and wants for nothing, but he truly truly hates things on his face so I feel bad outting a fly mask in him and don't want him head shy again! tricky one!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Gently wipe with a damp cloth (unlikely to be pleasant!). Then cover the inside with Sudocrem. Don't go right down the ear(!), just do the top half or so, the less hairy bit. Repeat every couple of days or so. It lasts on so e for longer than than others.

We do this with all ours that won't keep a fly mask on.

Last edited:

touchstone

Visit site
I use summer fly cream, does the job nicely as it contains deet to kill the flies, the only downside is it is bright yellow, but can be used as hi vis suppose!

Coblover63

Visit site
Mine all get Sudocreme'd in their ears and around their sheaths too. They must know it is good for them as they all stand like rocks, loose in the field, to let me do it. Conversely, when I used to try to apply fly spray to their bodies they would run off or fidget (not spraying, applying by sponge) I took that to mean that they didn't rate the fly spray much, but that they approve greatly of the Sudocreme!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I find sudacreme is useless against the black flies as its not a repellent only healing/ soothing creme.

Radiol I have been using for over 2o years and when my mare was at grass it stayed active for 24 hours and maybe longer if i had not re applied it the next night.
the yellow stuff works but i cant stand their ears going all black and gooey when the yellow stuff turns to black and my liveries ears now look horrid all stuck together and manky, she had to wash them out before she brought a fly hood.

Last edited:

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I use summer fly cream and rub that into Rosie's ears as she is another one that wont keep a fly mask on!