Flies on mares

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Has anyone got any good methods of keeping the flies off a mare's teats? I am hesitant to spray fly spray on them because it is bare skin and might irritate.

Thanks

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Thanks, good suggestion.

I have just read another post about using Avon Skin So Soft on a geldings sheath so that might be another possibility.

putasocinit

Visit site
If you put any fly repellant on your arm would it sting, no, go for it better than maggots and being bitten and cream going between the teats and going funny with the sweat etc.

mandwhy

Visit site
Mine gets bitten really badly there, I started slathering sudocreme all over her inner thighs and teats, but it melted off so I have started using that Lincoln 'antibacterial green gel' which is one of those horrible greasy sticky substances which sticks like glue and is therefore awesome for putting on the teats and all the way up her navel as she gets bitten there and rubs it. The skin feels much less scabby under there now and it contains deet to keep the flies off. Nightmare washing it out of her tail mind!

She also has an ordinary fly rug for bad days which does help but you can get an udder cover from snuggy hoods!

mynutmeg

Visit site
My mare gets very badly bitten there. I use naf d-itch ointment. Keeps flies off brilliantly and can be used on broken skin so no sensitivity issues