Flies!

4faults

Visit site
My mare has been bitten by some kind of uber fly, she has HUGE lumps on her and she is out of work because they are where her tack would lie :(:(

She is sensitive to flies anyway and goes out doused in fly spray and in her fly rug but some sort of fly is still attacking her. Vet has been out given anti inflammatorys and said she has seen a few of these this year.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any other precautions I could be taking?

VioletStripe

Visit site
My one has a huge bite!! Just one, and luckily it's on his stomach at the back, away from the girth, but I was shocked at how big it was! I use coopers fly repellent which worked (when I remembered to apply it! Am unsure how often it needs to be reapplied!) but I've changed now to Nettex Advanced today. No idea how well it works, but had to change as Cooper's gave me a rash - my horse didn't have a reaction, but I had to wear gloves and long sleeves and couldn't hug him when it was freshly applied, so have decided to change! Don't own a fly rug, but am tempted to invest :eek: xx

bumblelion

Visit site
There was a post yesterday similar to this. My tb got bitten a few days ago (fly rug was off as it was a bit rainy). The bite swelled up like a golf ball and had a large puncture mark in the middle, so whatever it was it had a big bite/sting! The puncture mark was about the size of a 5p piece! All this hot, humid, rainy weather is bringing out some strange insects! Last week I was out poo picking, I was under a tree when I thought it was raining, carried on picking up poo when I looked down and noticed I was being dive bombed by flying ants!!! I ran away pretty quick!!

4faults

Visit site
Its really getting me down, she has got very sensitive skin but the mix of fly rug, spray and a field with minimal flies was doing ok but this is something new :(

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Seen 3 or 4 come down like this this year, not sure why this year is any different to years gone by!
YOs horse had his face all swollen up, resembled a hamster bless him and a friend's horse came up in 10-15 bites, all huge lumps all over his side. They've all recovered with no lasting damage.
Can you give piriton, just to give a bit more protection? And we've been advised to feed garlic to up their natural repelling power! ;)
I hope your girl is okay!!
K x

4faults

Visit site
Her face is healing up well but there are a few on her chest an front legs which have gotten infected :-( they are oozing and crusty, sone almost look like sarcoids. Vet has given antibiotics and danilon

4faults

Visit site
Stupid iPhone!

Was going to say so fingers crossed this works. Also noticed that this has only happened since I ran out of cider vinegar, may be nothing to do with it but I'm going to get more just in case

ThePony

Visit site
Ours have got some crusty type ones, don't seem to bother them but then they aren't where tack or rugs would lie so at least they are out of the way. They are always out in fly rugs with belly covers and fly masks with ear covers, but they also have fly stuff around their udders and heels (for some reason their heels seem mega tasty?). We use Net-Tex Itch Stop Salve which is fab stuff!

kingzeus

Visit site
Mine has 4 or 5 lumps on his chest from sone kind of fly bite! I have also done the rugging and the fly spray but it's not working. I don't know what's doing it but it's a pain in the bum 

Rocky715

Visit site
oh my god, I am glad it isn't just me! my boys go out in fly rugs, masks and covered in spray. They both have had the most horrendous bites?! Both swelled up to about 8/9 cm diameter and protruded out a good centimetre. I treated the bites with Global Herbs (which always works wonders) - and this did bring the swelling down. The hair has now fallen off the full circular patch, leaving behind really sore crusty skin. its horrible, but I have no idea what did it?!