Flint's Yard Itch? Product for Sweet Itch

carterk3

Visit site
Hi all, I bought some of the Flint's Yard Itch? product at Badminton. Has anyone else tried this and what was the experience? Have been using it on my horse twice a day and I think she is itching less but perhaps its my imagination.

4x4

Visit site
Hi, just seen this, was beginning to wish I had bought it at Windsor when I saw it. Does it work or not? It looked quite impressive, no stockists near me though so would have to pay P & P!

_HP_

Visit site
Just seen this but never heard of it before.
Having read the website info, I'm interested to know if anyone has had any success with this. There is no general advice on there as to how to manage sweet itch ie no mention of rugging which suggests that this product is so good that you don't need to. Now that would be a wonder product and one I would be very interested in although I'm not convinced. ;)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry....... don't wish to chuck cold water over what may be a useful product, BUT if you've had a horse with sweet itch you'll know that various manufacturers frequently come up with THE "must have" product which is supposed to be the "fix" for sweet itch.

There are a myriad of issues involved with the management of sweet itch: personally I'm a huge cynic of the latest rave product. For me, its a case of getting the basic management right, i.e. rug, feed, grazing, appropriate (and cheap!) supplements as appropriate, avoiding sugar as much as poss & avoid garlic. And taking rudimentary precautions to prevent flies/midges biting in the first place as well as stabling when necessary. When I've done all that, THEN I may be just interested in the latest (usually extremely expensive:() supplement!!!

_HP_

Visit site
Yeah..I've yet to find a lotion or potion that will give enough protection to not have to use a rug on a true sweet itch horse and tbh, it's cheaper to buy a decent rug and a some electric fencing than it is to spend £15 on a lotion every month!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Im just trying Neem oil on my mare, she only has very mild Sweet Itch, she would probably manage with a rug but every rug I try rubs her shoulders, Gosh the Neem oil smells though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neem-Carr...ural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item4ab6e12af4

We've been using neem on our two who have pretty bad sweet itch. They are fully covered with rugs but I put it on the bits that stick out and put some on when riding. so far I'm really impressed with it and I'm not easily impressed with new things I try. It stinks , I admit but not only does it keep the flies off really well, it stops the itch and heals and scabby bits. At £14/litre on ebay it's cheaper than most other potions too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Pure-...UK_Health_Massage_RL&var=&hash=item2326296f4a

Last edited:

4x4

Visit site
Mine is rugged with head and body rugs but there is always the places where the rugs don't cover - I feed soya, linseed, brewers yeast, not too much grass and unmolassed chaff, so am kinda managing it however I still would like something to slap on the unprotected bits and also for hacking.

_HP_

Visit site
Net Tex Stop Itch is excellent for the areas where the rug doesn't reach...soothing and a long lasting repellent :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've just bought a sweetitch horse, luckily hes been well managed but I've made some changes. No alfaA, I've added a balancer, linseed, turmeric and he gets a spoonful of marmite. He also gets a splash of corn oil and some pepper to make the tumeric more effective. He gets Killitch on about 3 times a week and I coat him in Avon skin so soft. I mix the oil and spray and put it on a sponge and cover him in it, I also apply the spray to his rugs every other day. He gets sudocreme on his sheath as flies seem to go for there! He wears a snuggy hood sweet itch rug, although hes currently in a rambo one as its soo hot.

Previously he had just the marmite in some alfaA chop, kill itch every day and sudocreme on his sheath, as well as the rugs. He is noticeably improved. The skin so soft is actually better than people say it is! AMAZING stuff! and cheap which is always a bonus :)

I've changed too many things at the same time to know if one particular thing has made a difference and obviously he was VERY well managed before. But he def seems better and its only been about 5 days on the new supplements etc but so far so good!