flocking firmness

coss

Visit site
have been comparing a variety of saddles lately (mine and a friends - several) and noticed that the density of flocking seems to vary considerably.
A couple of the saddles have recently been reflocked, one was reflocked within the past 10months and one was new (off the peg).
How long do you expect it to take for flocking to settle so that its firm - not hard, but just settled? and do you expect it to be squishy when newly flocked? Also - do you expect the flocking to settle and need more flocking or flocking adjustment due to what feels like air pockets? - if so, how often?

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
have been comparing a variety of saddles lately (mine and a friends - several) and noticed that the density of flocking seems to vary considerably.
A couple of the saddles have recently been reflocked, one was reflocked within the past 10months and one was new (off the peg).
How long do you expect it to take for flocking to settle so that its firm - not hard, but just settled? and do you expect it to be squishy when newly flocked? Also - do you expect the flocking to settle and need more flocking or flocking adjustment due to what feels like air pockets? - if so, how often?

Sorry but thats a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" question.- it depends on the saddle, the horse and the rider- some saddles need doing quarterly and some have never been done (my cob's stubben hasnt been done for 20 years and its a fabulous fit on anything cobby :) )

coss

Visit site
i'll rephrase a little - should a saddle that is sat on a saddle rack - not in use at all, have its flocking settle and create what feels like air pockets? Wish the change of the flocking was quarterly - its much more often than that and not due to horse's change in shape that its not sitting right -either that or the horse is muscling up slower than the eye can see but very fast in terms of saddles ;)
I've never had the flocking in saddles change so much with so little use is really the angle i'm coming from though was trying to get a general opinion first ;)

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Disclaimer: I know sod all about flocking :D but when I got mine done, I was told it would take a few riding sessions to get it to settle. True to her word, within maybe 3-5 sessions, I felt a difference in my saddle. I had it checked 2 weeks later and all was fine.

I would have thought that it wouldn't be able to settle, unless there is weight on it? (although I am most likely talking rubbish). I've known one horse that was ridden bareback more often than saddled, due to his saddle constantly being away to be reflocked because it didn't fit him. i.e. it fit one day and then 4 days later it didn't. I find this hard to believe, but hey ho.

Have you tried a different saddler to see what their take is on it?

Janette

Visit site
I have been led to believe by a saddler, that saddle racks are not the best things for storing a saddle on. They develop dents in the flocking. The saddle racks which are a single pole which sits in the gullet are better.
I have to say that when I had a saddle with traditional flocking, I noticed marks on the flocking after Star had completed 3 months box rest. The saddle had been stored on a 'normal', wall mounted saddle rack.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yep, do pad out your saddle racks - pipe insulation foam works well, but an old fluffy numnah or folded blanket is good.

No flocking won't settle much at all without being ridden on - the saddles I have in stock for a few months are no more settled than the brand new stock. And no there should not be air pockets - the flock should feel smooth. It might only have some squoosh in it, very soft flocking way actually be a problem, not providing enough support or stability for the tree, but obviously you don't want it hard.

Some areas may be a smidge firmer than others - I sometimes need to flock the points and the very rear of the saddle a little more firmly than the rest, but you want that slightl difference to be symmetrical. Not a fan of flockin asymmetrically unless a horse is proven to be permanently asymmetric itself.

coss

Visit site
thank you for the response - i know that one of the saddles has not been on a saddle rack - just stored in a room leant against a wall. One is on a saddle rack, and another is sat on another saddle with padding underneathe!
I also thought flocking shouldn't sink/settle without being ridden in but that is what i'm finding is happening :eek:
Also one of the saddle was in use before reflock and fitted very well - flocking was getting lumpy due to age/wear/tear hence the reflock and it hasn't sat properly since - Have ridden in it a fair bit now and it feels like the more it "settles" the worse it fits :rolleyes:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have had a couple of horses who, in the first year of a new saddle, have needed tree or flock adjustments every 3 months or so, then horse and saddle tend to settle down much more. Rare though. 3 weeks seems excessive, but there is the very odd case of a saddle that works when you fit it, all looks good, then within 2-3 weeks it needs an adjustment.

I'd say that that is not acceptable on an ongoing basis - it can take a couple of fittings on a tricky horse to get it right, espeically if issues only show up on a certain type of terrain or a certain activity - if you imagine the flocking beds in, then you put the saddle under a little more of a challenge, it just might show up a slight flaw in the fitting. We can only go on what we see, there is no perfect science to saddle fit unfortunately.

coss

Visit site
I have had a couple of horses who, in the first year of a new saddle, have needed tree or flock adjustments every 3 months or so, then horse and saddle tend to settle down much more. Rare though. 3 weeks seems excessive, but there is the very odd case of a saddle that works when you fit it, all looks good, then within 2-3 weeks it needs an adjustment.

I'd say that that is not acceptable on an ongoing basis - it can take a couple of fittings on a tricky horse to get it right, espeically if issues only show up on a certain type of terrain or a certain activity - if you imagine the flocking beds in, then you put the saddle under a little more of a challenge, it just might show up a slight flaw in the fitting. We can only go on what we see, there is no perfect science to saddle fit unfortunately.

thank you your comments - that makes a lot of sense :)