Floods!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
One flood plain near me was virtually drying up the other day. Today it is the worst I have seen it for a while. I also suspect that there has been a sluice gate opened up further near town.

toppedoff

Visit site
Yard was flooding early at 10:30, had to sweep the load out only to come back to much more flooding 😞 Hopefully it isn't bad tomorrow

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Never seen so much water. Roads round here are flooded and a few have been closed. Luckily our stables are on higher ground so no issues there but I bet our fields are under water. Haven't seen them yet as went up this eve in the dark. Not looking forward to seeing it in the morning.....

Melody Grey

Visit site
Pretty bad here in rural leicestershire…. Had to ask my livery who lives in the next village to feed and hay mine this evening as roads cut off between the villages….really hoping for it to go down by the morning!! Don’t really want to have to wade through as my wellies are at the yard (that will teach me!!) 😢

ponyparty

Visit site
I’m in Worcestershire and the lanes were terrible getting to and from the yard this afternoon. It seems every time it dries up a bit the next load of rainfall makes it just as bad or worse - everywhere is just saturated. Sick to death of it 😩 I don’t think we’re due a lot of rain overnight though so hoping the waters have receded by tomorrow morning..!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I’m in Worcestershire and the lanes were terrible getting to and from the yard this afternoon. It seems every time it dries up a bit the next load of rainfall makes it just as bad or worse - everywhere is just saturated. Sick to death of it 😩 I don’t think we’re due a lot of rain overnight though so hoping the waters have receded by tomorrow morning..!
I hope so as I have to get to horses and to work.

ponyparty

Visit site
I hope so as I have to get to horses and to work.
Fingers crossed 🤞 i had to make two detours earlier and then there was a bit of a land slip and a flood to navigate caused by water coming up through a drain… right by a river as well, just how?! Surely water should flow into the river. There’s a lot of talk of how the council no longer maintain the drains, wonder how much of it is to do with that ☹️

Errin Paddywack

Visit site

Annagain

Visit site
My village (in S.Wales) flooded badly at Christmas a few years ago (maybe 2020?). We were fortunate that it stopped about 50m short of our house, we're probably only 1m higher than the properties that flooded but it made the difference. A couple of days ago residents were being sent red flood warnings and there was quite a bit of panic on local Facebook groups but luckily, the water levels peaked a few centimetres short of breaching the flood defences. A few years ago a flood defence scheme was proposed for the village, which would involve building a huge dam upstream to deliberately flood land mainly owned by the woodland trust and used as a local amenity. It was abandoned due to local opposition (mainly that it was a sledgehammer to crack a nut) and spiralling costs. The village is pretty much divided, with those who have been flooded desperate for it to go ahead but most others against it. The arguments have been raging all week and getting quite personal. Better than any contentious thread on here!

The road I have to take to get to the horses is flooding on and off (an hour of rain is enough for it to flood and couple of dry hours enough for it to drain away) and I've been concerned going through it once or twice even in my Defender, normal cars haven't been able to get through at all when it's been bad. Just a few dry days would make such a difference, surely it's not too much to ask?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Managed to get to horses and work by going a different way to normal. A lot of the floods have gone down by it has started raining again so hope it does not get worse again.

I'm Dun

Visit site
We're on the river here (Thames) but the land is so full of water that there is nowhere for it to go - it's all across the floodplain now, and rising fast, I think they have opened a floodgate upstream. They like to save Henley and the fancy towns downstream from flooding, so they flood us instead.

In Oxford the flooding usually hits 48hours later as they open the flood gates and send the water down. Its awful here!

Wishfilly

Visit site
It's not too bad here (Cornwall) in comparison, I think the wind has been a bigger problem- there were lots of powercuts this morning although I believe everyone now has power back? Some of the roads have a lot of standing water, and the lane has flooded in the usual place, but not deeply. Apparently some of the railway lines around here have flooded though.

However, we have a yellow warning for rain (like much of the south) until 3am on Friday morning- I'm very glad I live up a hill right now!

At the moment, the met office is saying we might have 4 (4!) dry days in a row starting on Saturday, which would be amazing for the fields and give everywhere a chance to dry out. The winds have died down, which is good, as we have had a lot of branches etc blown down and flying around! I think Devon had it even worse, and there was some really quite serious damage due to the wind.

Mosh

Visit site
Just checking in with everyone after the recent storms we've had.
I'm in the East Midlands (loughborough) and I have never known the town to flood like it has. Roads are shut, people being evacuated and even the canal has flooded in parts.
There has been some animal fatalities unfortunately which has been awful to see. The river at one point was over 5 metres which is a record I think.
I hope everyone else is okay who has been affected.

SEL

Visit site
We're on the river here (Thames) but the land is so full of water that there is nowhere for it to go - it's all across the floodplain now, and rising fast, I think they have opened a floodgate upstream. They like to save Henley and the fancy towns downstream from flooding, so they flood us instead.
We're upstream and they flood us too - Marlow has too many expensive houses! I thought the flood gates must be closed because there is only one way in or out of the village my old yard was in (& my old fields are a sea of brown water), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're having to let some through.

The steam that runs down the side of my land ends up in the Thames and it's as high as I've ever seen it and roaring.