'Flu case in Central Scotland

minesadouble

Visit site
Apologies if this question has already been answered as there a few equine flu posts and I haven’t read all of them.
I’m curious as to how many cases there currently are compared to how many there are any other year?
This only seems to have come to light due to racehorses being involved.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Being honest I’d take anything Kate Stewart said with a large pinch of salt. Not a dealer I’d use have seen some of their sales first hand.

I’m reading what’s being written and still wondering what all the fuss is about? Flu is about in this country all the time. Yes the strain might be different but surely it’s still business as usual??

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The strain being different is quite significant.
And see above post for 'about all the time', in particular the number before racing shut down (so less general concern re. calling vets though plenty of vets were aware it was becoming an issue).

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
The strain being different is quite significant.
And see above post for 'about all the time', in particular the number before racing shut down (so less general concern re. calling vets though plenty of vets were aware it was becoming an issue).

Are we talking actual cases or reported cases though?? Pretty sure there will be more cases than reported ones.

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
Apparently there’s another 2 cases in Scotland now. I don’t know if this is just hear say /gossip though.

There are two confirmed cases in Leicestershire that are reported as being newly arrived from Scotland. So its possible that its those that are being referred to. I wish they stated where in Scotland they were newly arrived from!

Visit site
Are we talking actual cases or reported cases though?? Pretty sure there will be more cases than reported ones.

Thats my feeling. Most people with a horse that had a bit of a cough and snotty nose (vacced ones) would never have thought of flu so probably didnt test for it. Whereas this year racing came up with it so every tom dick and harry is testing every sniffle for it.

Simon Chrisfords yard had 4 positive tests in vacced horses that showed no symptoms what so ever. A week later these horse tested clear of flu and never once presented a symptom. They will be tested again in a day or 2 but if that also comes back negative do we take his 4 off of the list and say it was fluke results?

wills_91

Visit site
So is that now 4 cases that have come from that yard? The 2 in Scotland & 2 Leicestershire?

I don't know if it's true or not about to 2 in Leicestershire as I read it elsewhere. However they did have a post on fb about having sold 2 down there and that post is now gone. But yes looks likely that 4 have come from 1 place with it.

Reactions: HBB

HBB

Visit site
I don't know if it's true or not about to 2 in Leicestershire as I read it elsewhere. However they did have a post on fb about having sold 2 down there and that post is now gone. But yes looks likely that 4 have come from 1 place with it.

Thank you.

ester

Visit site
I’ve given up trying to convince everyone re reported and hidden cases even though the January before everyone became aware figured tell the same story.

ester

Visit site
Re. ‘Fluke’ results, lab contamination possible depending how high they were but wouldn’t be something I’d expect from AHT even if they have been very busy.

Visit site
Re. ‘Fluke’ results, lab contamination possible depending how high they were but wouldn’t be something I’d expect from AHT even if they have been very busy.

Im not saying the lab was wrong but we dont know when the horses had been vaccinated except they had been done within the last 6 months. Would it be possible for them to test positive if thay had been jagged very recently?

ester

Visit site
I’d think it quite unlikely you’d get it come up on the swab even if very recent with the amount of vaccine and size of horse. Whether it’s entirely impossible Id have to ask someone else on that one.

EventingMum

Visit site

Funny that the post about two being sold to Leicestershire has gone. I haven't seen any confirmation of where the horse in Stirling had come from.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Leicestershire
On 12 February 2019, AHT confirmed an outbreak of EI on a premises in Leicestershire. There are two unvaccinated non-Thoroughbreds displaying clinical signs of coughing, nasal discharge and pyrexia. Both were recently imported from Scotland and have been isolated. Positive diagnoses were made by PCR on nasopharyngeal swabs. The affected horses have been isolated.

Wilf the first

New User
Visit site
See it's all died down a bit now. Hopefully it's contained and will finish as people are now aware. Giorgia did the right thing by acknowledging what happened and dealing with it right away. This includes saying where it started so others are informed; unfortunately some folk interpret this negatively. It's not blaming the dealers yard for starting the flu (and it's not their fault, flu can spring from anywhere) but it's how it's dealt with that makes the difference. And she did the right thing by stating the truth and letting others know (which has allowed the other cases be discovered and dealt with with).