Flu Confirmed case in Pershore Worcestershire

oldie48

Visit site
Hi just to let you know there is a confirmed case in Worcestershire (Pershore). Reported by vet so accurate. I intend to stop competing for the time being, particularly as with half term next week a lot of kids will be at local venues on unvaccinated ponies etc (if they are still running). I am waiting to find out if the affected horse was imported, I think it may have been.

Reactions: DD

SEL

Visit site
Apparently there's on in Bucks as well - but no one has confirmed exactly where. Given we're a large county I'd quite like to know whether its within worrying distance.

Most 1/2 term pony club stuff is running around here. No idea if they are insisting on vaccinations within 6 months though.

oldie48

Visit site
Does that mean Allen's hill is cancelling stuff then oldie?
Not as far as I know. They are running Quest on Saturday alongside UA dressage and PC comp, I couldn't have done it as I was excluded by the 7 day rule but my team has withdrawn completely now. they have quite a lot of events on next week too, I was booked to do Quest (again alongside UA) on Thursday but I am not willing to go to events where I know there will be unvaccinated horses. I genuinely feel very sorry for ECs, they have a hard enough time of it generally but perhaps they need to rethink their policy on having unvaccinated horses competing.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Apparently there's on in Bucks as well - but no one has confirmed exactly where. Given we're a large county I'd quite like to know whether its within worrying distance.

Most 1/2 term pony club stuff is running around here. No idea if they are insisting on vaccinations within 6 months though.

They reposted due to data protection act they cant name yard without permission

Bayracer

Visit site
Hi just to let you know there is a confirmed case in Worcestershire (Pershore). Reported by vet so accurate. I intend to stop competing for the time being, particularly as with half term next week a lot of kids will be at local venues on unvaccinated ponies etc (if they are still running). I am waiting to find out if the affected horse was imported, I think it may have been.
Do you know where about it Pershore? I’m near by.

oldie48

Visit site
No sorry a name was mentioned to me but it would be wrong to share it as it might be incorrect and tbh I didn't recognise the name and have forgotten it! I'm over the river so not quite local. The Ledbury are out on Friday though so it seems hunting is still going on.

Velcrobum

Visit site
According to latest AHT update the Worcestershire yard is in isolation and the equine was not vaccinated. There are another 8 equines at the premises.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
And now a hunt hireling yard 3 miles up the road from me (wyre forest) have 15 confirmed cases.
I feel desperately sorry for the local competition yard - they're now in a massively difficult situation.

oldie48

Visit site
And now a hunt hireling yard 3 miles up the road from me (wyre forest) have 15 confirmed cases.
I feel desperately sorry for the local competition yard - they're now in a massively difficult situation.
Hi I think this is the first Worcestershire report from the 12th and I believe is linked to the Worcesters cancelling their meet. The near Pershore outbreak is at a yard that had had a suspected strangles case before Christmas and now a confirmed one in January but had not gone into lockdown. You asked me about Allens Hill, there's a note now on the website but nothing to say that unvaccinated horses will not be able to compete, only to have passports with you for the usual checks. The note is a bit nebulous tbh as horses should be transported with their passport anyway.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There's a few more weeks of the season to go yet, O48.

I hope the hunting lot get their act into gear and, at the very least, insist on all participants having up to date vaccinations inc a recent booster. Emailed copies in advance and a dragon like Pony Club DC to enforce it on the day, who would be wise to any 'ringers', should do it.

I hadn't even considered that a hireling yard would be sending out unvaccinated hunters all over when I posted elsewhere that hunting should take a break in affected areas. That will prove to be a very expensive and false economy for them, no doubt.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Tbf I don't know if their horses are unvaccinated. It's just a large amount of hunt horses all in one place so if there has been anything floating around at meets they were bound to get hit by it. They've acted very responsibly since they suspected, so that's good at least.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This yard?

On 13 February 2019, AHT confirmed a case of EI on a premises in Worcestershire. The affected horse is an unvaccinated non-Thoroughbred that presented with coughing, nasal discharge and pyrexia. The positive diagnosis was confirmed by PCR on a nasopharyngeal swab. There are a total of 35 in-contacts, of which about half are vaccinated. There was also a laboratory confirmed strangles case confirmed on the yard in the last month and voluntary movement restrictions have instigated since this confirmation.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No, that's a different yard.
Just checked and the hireling yard horses are all vaccinated (don't know whether within 6 month bracket).
Thanks for checking and putting me straight. Is the hireling yard not yet listed on the AHT list? I couldn't see anything else that fitted the bill.

ETA And now flu has been confirmed in Shropshire. Shropshire is a big county, and I'm near its border. Listing the nearest town or city would be helpful.

Last edited:

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Thanks for checking and putting me straight. Is the hireling yard not yet listed on the AHT list? I couldn't see anything else that fitted the bill.

ETA And now flu has been confirmed in Shropshire. Shropshire is a big county, and I'm near its border. Listing the nearest town or city would be helpful.

Those of us in Shropshire would like to know too.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
What date are we at now? Ah yes, ok so it's yet another worcestershire case possibly in the above aht update...blah