Flu jab reaction

Mayfly

New User
Visit site
My poor horse had a flu jab 6 weeks ago resulting in a huge swelling on his neck making it impossible for him to move until he had a large pain killing jab into his vein. He now has four hugely swollen legs, with the swelling progressing upwards rather than down his legs and has had a steroid jab, more pain killer and is on antibiotics. Bloods came back normal. Has anyone else had this and what happened?

nomini

Visit site
Not sure if it's the same thing but my previous horse got an abscess on her chest from where she had her flu/tet jab. Vet said it was a faulty vaccination, and vaccination company paid all vets bills. She was treated with bute and antibiotics and it cleared up with 3 to 4 weeks. Before the abscess burst open, she was very lame and both front legs were swollen!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The only time I've seen this happen is when the vet injected straight through the vein causing blood to leak into the neck. A massive haematoma formed which took around three weeks to subside.
I think I would ask your vet for the reason this has happened, it definitely isn't a normal occurrance.

Patches

Visit site
that took some reading Vici "jab too low into spine ligament"

Someone should've bought you a key board for Christmas
smile.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
Both my ponies have a reaction to flu jabs similar to this although it doesn't last anywhere as long. if jabbed in the neck, the jab site swells and is hot and the ponies can't put their heads down to graze or drink. They look a little lame in front.

I've soaked the area in hot towels which seems to ease it. If jabbed in the their bottom, they are stiff and lame behind for a few days. They now have their vac in their chest muscle, and for some reason neither get a reaction with this.

calon

Visit site
my friends show sec d stallion had a very bad reaction and alomost died i dont and never have given it to any of mine hope yours is better soon

josie_s

Visit site
A friend of mine's horse had a similar lump on his neck - literally the size of half an orange stuck on his neck, but the vet said she had missed the vein. Still there now (from Oct
mad.gif
) but is getting smaller slowly.