Flu & tet in pregant mare

BethanT

Visit site
Just wondering what is the protocol for flu and tet jabs in a pregnant mare? She is due in May so quite close to end of term and as a few people on the yard are having their horses start off their flu and tet wondered if I would be able to with my girl. This will be the first time she has ever been innoculated.

And if I can't when can you innoculate a pregant mare or a mare with foal at foot?

popsdosh

Visit site
I only ever give Tet vacs to mares and foals as its not worth the risk . Anything else is of questionable need!

BethanT

Visit site
Just wondering what is the protocol for flu and tet jabs in a pregnant mare? She is due in May so quite close to end of term and as a few people on the yard are having their horses start off their flu and tet wondered if I would be able to with my girl. This will be the first time she has ever been innoculated.

And if I can't when can you innoculate a pregant mare or a mare with foal at foot?

I've only owned her since December and previous owner never did her as he basically had a load of mares foal and a stallion in a field. She's only 4. Vet came out today and gave her her first vaccine. Vet also thinks she isn't due in May but more June/end of June. (Got this by looking at her foal from last years teeth)

Reason for her not being done before now with me was that you wouldn't have got near her with a needle (even today was a bit of drama) and they can't do a scan either because would mean sedating, plus vet also said they wouldn't only be able to give an approximate month of foaling anyway.

Thank you for your comments.