Flu vaccinations for a 31 year old??

gothdolly

Visit site
I have always had my horses vaccinated for flu and tetanus withouth thinking about it, but have been warned off it by several people recently who say that at an advanced age the vaccine could be very detrimental to their health. My vet has never said anything like this. My 31 year old mare is returning to me after 8 years away and although her tetanus vaccinations are up to date, she has not recently been done for flu. I was planning to vaccinate her before moving her back......

I have never heard of this before. What does anyone else think?

Cassandra

gothdolly

Visit site
Thanks, do you find that they "go downhill" after vaccinations? People have been telling me recently that the vaccination can make them ill for a week afterwards. Never heard or experienced this before.... my 19 year old has never had any problems!

YorkshireLass

Visit site
I had a Dales Pony who was not right for 6 months after flu/tet vaccine. He was not old. Some individuals can be affected. It is very rare and they are usualy native types.

I have never heard that age is a factor. Could it simply be that these old ponies would have gone down hill anyway and the vac was just a coincidence... So the owners blamed the vaccine.

Whatever you decide, he needs to be coverd for tetanus. Tetanus is EVERYWHERE and is an agonising death. You can get this as a separate vac.

gothdolly

Visit site
Oh yes, tetanus vaccinations have been kept up to date.
smile.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
CR - my vet said give Sunny the day that he had the jab off plus 2 more days. My friend had her 9yr old TB done at the same time and she received exactly the same advice. Sunny has never shown any ill effects whatsoever. I know horses aren't humans but if you think about it, as people get older and into their 60s, 70s and beyond, they are encouraged to take up the flu jab because their immune systems aren't as effective as when you are younger. I would guess it's pretty similar for horses. They need a little extra help as they get older.

Faro

Visit site
I must admit that I've never heard anything about flu jabs affecting older horses either, from the vet or elsewhere. However, of my five, I only have the three boys (6,7,8 yo) vaccinated for both flu and tet, because although I don't compete much (the occasional endurance ride) these are the horses of mine which are going to be coming into contact with other horses - whether at an event or out hacking. The two old girls (both fully retired, 24 and 27) are vaccinated for tetanus only, as they never go off my land.

So admittedly, the main reason for not vaccinating (for flu) my two mares is costs, and not the horses's age. And, I know you can never say never (touchwood they don't ever get it, because yes, I'd be kicking myself) but quite honestly I think the old girls' chances of picking up equine flu in their current situation is farily minimal. (Oh lord, please don't punish me now for being so blase!)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I was also told this and my old girl (28) hasn't been flu jabbed for three years on vet's advice. Always kept up to date for tetanus though, and has teeth and feet and coat etc also kept in tip top order.

gothdolly

Visit site
Interesting to hear a wide range of replies here....... I rang my vet yesterday and they advised to have her vaccinated for flu as she is moving from her own paddock up to the livery yard where I keep Domi which is busy with a somewhat transient population.

thanks for your replies
smile.gif

Cassandra x

KarynK

Visit site
Tetanus only needs to be done every 2 or 3 years depending on the make, so if you want to be safe just vaccinate for flu and don't give a joint vaccine which is unnecessary.

Eaglestone

Visit site
My old Cushings boy of 27 now, 26 when he was vaccinated for Flu and Tetantus, in March I think, was not 'right' just over 24 hours after and had a temperature of 102.8 (in old money) and the book says call the Vet at 102
shocked.gif
was not 'right' for a couple of weeks after but was ok after that
smile.gif

Never happened before and on no other medication from previous couple of years .... so I will talk to the Vet next year about giving it a miss, myself
mad.gif

DuckToller

Visit site
I was told by my friend, who is a vet, that older ones do build up an immunity and don't necessarily need the flu jab, particularly if they don't travel about. Also said that the tetanus is good for two years so I have my younger ones done with flu and tet every year, and my old boys have just tetanus every other year.

Think all vets are wonderful people (creeping like mad here) but you won't really get an unbiased opinion as of course they want to come out and inject your mare for flu, as it's a nice little earner. Keeps the mortgage payments up to date for a start
smile.gif
The choice is now yours!

amberleystar

www.amberleyaromatics.com
I have not had my 35 year old gelding vaccinated against flu for around 7 years. He does get vaccinated against tetanus however.

there is a very good article about it here: http://www.naturalhorsegroup.org/articles_flu_jab.htm

there is evidence to suggest that animals do not need the level of vaccinations that vets lead us to believe. Basically it is all about drug companies and vets making money. I'm not saying do not vaccinate, but we need to question whether yearly or even 6 monthly vaccinations are really necessary, are in the the best interests of the horse or just a money maker for the drug companies and vets who push yearly boosters.

my homeopathic vet does not believe that yearly boosters are necessary unless of course you are competing and then it is compulsary.