Fluid filled swelling

Orangehorse

Visit site
To add to my woes (re Abscess won't discharge ...)

Noticed a scaby spot yesterday underneath horse's elbow. Woops, must have missed some mud, got a bit of a rub, girth gall type thing I thought. There was a bit of yellow scab, so I gave the area a good inspection and put on some antispectic cream. There were some other spots there, but nothing seemed to be painful. A sort of "capped elbow" situation I thought (although he has a good deep bed, he obviously always lies on one side, so there is a bit of roughed up skin under the elbow.)

Anyway, today to my horror there was a definite collection of fluid. A soft, fluid swelling right underneath his elbow, just inside his front leg. It is not hot, doesn't seem painful at all in any area, but it is noticeable. About as big as the palm of my hand.

Put more cream on and had another look but did not touch the spots.

Any idea what is going on?

woolly

Visit site
oedema/bursae or heamatomoa if he has knocked it. Cold hosing and gentle massage can often bring it down or totally disperse it. Try that for a while. Best of luck.
However if there is an entry site it might be an infection though usually heat would be there and it would possibly be painful, inflammed and weeping. If in doubt do call a vet.