Fluid sack in front of udder?

eloiseee_

New User
Visit site
Hello

My maiden mare has a fluid sack in front of her udder, is this normal for a non preg mare? I’ve only had geldings for a long time so no idea if this is normal for a mare. See attached photos

I’ve had her 5 months, unknown home history other than dealers yards. originally I presumed she had been on the moor for 2 years so I ordered equine pregnancy tests online ( I know they’re probably a load of ? but she’s feral so I didn’t have much choice and I was curious) both tests showed positive.. but I don’t know wether to believe them or not lol

I know it’s silly to ask if my pony is in foal on the internet so really I’m just after advice on if this fluid sack is completely normal or if it’s possibly milk coming in? She does have a rather large tummy but nothing that raises foal alarm bells (it looks huge from the front angle of course) her udders are completely empty

Thanks I’m advance !

Attachments

• A8EA90D1-2B38-4463-8671-067E3B2FF043.jpeg
    A8EA90D1-2B38-4463-8671-067E3B2FF043.jpeg
    917.9 KB · Views: 41
  • D589713E-3953-4075-BECB-3E89D7F42D64.jpeg
    D589713E-3953-4075-BECB-3E89D7F42D64.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 09667411-D082-46BC-A0BE-2D07032152BB.jpeg
    09667411-D082-46BC-A0BE-2D07032152BB.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 42

millikins

Visit site
One of my Shetlands did this a couple of months ago, mine's definitely not in foal. It was hard to tell what was going on under all the fluff but as it didn't bother her i just kept an eye on it. It seems to have gone down again now.

PurBee

Visit site
Sweet pony, lovely colour and kind face ?
The belly tends to curve down/hang low in foal in later stages - yours looks like a standard hay belly - yet if it begins to drop low in a few weeks and the bagging continues i’d be seriously considering a foal on board!

My older mare had a few foals in her earlier years so now has a very obvious perpetual udder. Im not sure about maidens, if there’s any development of udder just during hormonal cycles when not in foal?

eloiseee_

New User
Visit site
It's probably just fat, but it could be very early stages of bagging up, just keep an eye

It’s certainly hard to tell lol. I cupped it in my hand and it basically feels like an udder, v
Sweet pony, lovely colour and kind face ?
The belly tends to curve down/hang low in foal in later stages - yours looks like a standard hay belly - yet if it begins to drop low in a few weeks and the bagging continues i’d be seriously considering a foal on board!

My older mare had a few foals in her earlier years so now has a very obvious perpetual udder. Im not sure about maidens, if there’s any development of udder just during hormonal cycles when not in foal?

Thank you! That’s what I was wondering, I have no idea what would be normal for a maiden

eloiseee_

New User
Visit site
One of my Shetlands did this a couple of months ago, mine's definitely not in foal. It was hard to tell what was going on under all the fluff but as it didn't bother her i just kept an eye on it. It seems to have gone down again now.

interesting! Thank you

tda

Visit site
One of my older mares(20yrs) has a similar soft swelling, unfortunately she is not pregnant, although she has had foals before.
Could you get a vet to check her over?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Swelling in front off the udder in mares and the sheath in geldings can be caused by insulin resistance. If she is on grass and it’s quite rich or she’s not used to it that may be the cause. Exercise, even walking out in hand and a low sugar/starch diet will reduce it back to a normal size.

eloiseee_

New User
Visit site
This is the test I used. I know you can have false positives if the mare is cycling, so we waited and did another one they were both positive. Does anyone know if they are reliable or are are they a load of rubbish ?

Attachments

• 02F1327D-17D2-42E8-9A3B-29FAF833BAF0.jpeg
    02F1327D-17D2-42E8-9A3B-29FAF833BAF0.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 15

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Spend all the time you have handling her over the next weeks and she'll start to come round.
I'm of the mind that any mare from moors/lower end dealer is likely to be pregnant until proven otherwise.
Keep an eye on that udder for any changes and you'll pretty soon start to know if she's pregnant or that's just the shape she is.
Pictures are if course required if she does have a foal ?

eloiseee_

New User
Visit site
She’s come a long way for me already, she’s exmoors are extremely stubborn so it’s a long road lol! I know a vet won’t get anywhere near her.. but yes I agree you can never say never with dealers ect

Ofc I’m secretly hoping she is! I will for sure update here if I see any changes