Fly/barrier cream for sheath

AWinter

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good, gentle on the skin product to keep flies away from their sheath? My gelding has a nightmare as soon as the flies come out every year and rubs his sheath to the point of bleeding at times and it ends up swollen.

He wears a full fly rug and fly spray but it just doesn’t seem to help the sheath issue. He will literally sit like a dog when he rolls and rub back and forth.

Taliesan

Visit site
I use the Eqwax neem wax. I brush it on around their sheaths and inner thighs (as well as in their ears) and it does a fabulous job of keeping the flies away.

Jambarissa

Visit site
The battles summer fly cream is excellent. It's deet based but intended to be 7sed on cuts and grazes to keep the flies off whilst they heal.

It does stain though, apply with a sponge!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I know it’s not exactly gentle but i use phazer gel on my boy who gets bitten on his sheath to the point of bleeding too, this works very well.

I noticed snuggy hoods have brought out a sheath cover if it’s really bad for him. Had the phazer not worked for my boy, that was my next step

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I know it’s not exactly gentle but i use phazer gel on my boy who gets bitten on his sheath to the point of bleeding too, this works very well.

I noticed snuggy hoods have brought out a sheath cover if it’s really bad for him. Had the phazer not worked for my boy, that was my next step
I sometimes use phazer gel too

BMA2

Visit site
My gelding had exactly the same...
A green oils type gel will work. I used to use one that vets would dish out...but you could get it from viovet etc. Annoyingly and unhelpfully I cannot remember what it was called. Im sure this had citronella in it.

The only issue was it made his tail lank and greasy so I did then end up using Deosect which worked if applied regularly

If I can remember the name of the greasy tail stuff I'll let you know

WestCoast

Visit site
If you don’t like they yellow of battles I’ve been using Nettex Summer Fly Cream Deet on my mare’s teats and ears. I did a patch test before using it - including putting it on my own neck which is very sensitive So you’d want to do one on your boy as well.

First Frost

Visit site
Agree with nettex summer freedom. My gelding really suffers with fly bites on his sheath and 'belly seam'. He is also very sensitive to products but summer freedom has been fine for him.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Never in all of my years of using baby oil on my 9 horses/ponys have I ever had a burn.
Well you're lucky. But it's basically liquid vaselin . It certainly doesn't deter flys or midges.
My physio saw a client recently with a horse with a severely burned sheath and willy - caused by baby oil. Apparently it was fire engine red!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I use aloe vera gel on the sheath. Doubles as lube if he has a crusty cling-on, too. flies don't seem to like it, much! I use neem oil on my mare, but it does stain, so can't use it on my white gelding!

BMA2

Visit site

Sorry for the really late reply but it's this I used and they left his sheath alone. But his tail looked like the hair of a heroine addict

Melandmary

Visit site
My mare has the same problem on her udder. I use good old sudacrem- I apply it with a body brush on her udder and an application lasts 2 days. Have done this for years after giving up with the snuggyhood with udder guard. Its Cheap and just add it to my weekly shop