Fly Bites in this weather??

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My mare has come in the past few weeks with little scabby swellings rather like fly bites, just as one lot has cleared up in the saddle area another three have come up under her armpits when I got her in last night, they are warm swellings at the minute and they obviously itch her. She suffered from fly bites in the spring/summer but not on a sweet itch level. There are no signs of mites.
Does anyone know of any supplements that might be useful or any other thoughts. x

mare-ish

New User
Visit site
My mare has had the same problem for weeks now, i have had the vet out and they were not sure but advised it was a bacterial skin infection but the antibiotics did very little. I have tried hibiscrubbing twice daily, cooling gel, de-tox supplements and I have reduced the amounts of rugs she has as they are definitley made worse by the heat but nothing seems to get rid of then. They are in very specific places, on the girth area one side, on her shoulder one side and just under the saddle both sides. I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas

muff747

Visit site
I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas
I have pics in my album of lumps which came up and lasted for weeks on my geldings sides. I was asking if anyone knew what they are. They were itchy too. I did wonder if they were bots emerging - even though he was wormed after the frosts last year. two other geldings got similar strange lumps with scabs which no one had ever seen before.

heidiharvsnroo

Visit site
My mare gets horrible lumps like this when she is overrugged. I disolve some epsom salts in water and just dab it on and they normally clear up in a few days.

Toothpaste is also meant to help if you dab it on...although not tried that one.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Ahh, i've only just seen these replies, my notifications don't seem to be working.
The lumps have gone down now and seem to be just scabby were the sores are healing. I think she was getting too warm, she's clipped out and was having a fleece and med weight stable rug on, she now just has a med/heavy weight stable rug on and so far we haven't had anymore lumps.
I've ordered her some brewers yeast, I thought it might be worth getting this in her system ready for the fly season, it works a treat on our shettie with sweet itch.

katherine1975

Visit site
My horse had these and had to have antibiotics. She had them last year on her shoulder and this year in the girth area. The vet said that it is folliculitis, probably caused by clipping. A bit like in-growing hairs that have become infected, they were very itchy as well.