Fly Control

SNC

Visit site
The sun comes out and now the midges, flies are out in force. My 22 year old mare is getting a little wound up with the flies. With the damp weather and then the sun they seem to be out in force at the moment. The fly spray I have will have run out soon, and it isn't working very well. Does anyone have any recommendations for good fly protection. In my search I came across Equi-spot on fly control, has anyone tried this?

booandellie

Visit site
We are barely out of winter and the flies are out in force! My pony's belly and teats seem to be particularly tasty to the blighters and i am already applying fly spray too. Some brands are better than others, coopers and phaser-eight are particularly effective but even they need a couple of applications a day. Other than that a waterproof flyrug? you can get a supplement from global herbs i think it's called fly-gone to add to feeds but if your mare is fussy she may not eat it as it smelt like curry! I apply sudocrem to the areas under her belly where the flies like to bite so they can't get to those bits- hope that helps.

Laika

Visit site
I have to use a fly spray and then when she goes out she'll be going out in her fly rug and mask. My mare has a huge problems with flies around her eyes. It's a nightmare keeping them off her.

Carr & Day & Martin do Flygard Extra that has DEET in it (they use it in the army to keep flies off them when they're in the jungle etc) and can be sprayed at all angles, so you can make sure your horses stomach is nicely covered too.

I've started her on Garlic already as this can naturally avert those little pests.

My fly control becomes like a military operation, but I always end up with a good horsefly bite to the calf - ouch!

All the best of luck finding a solution!

Laika

Visit site
I asked my vet when my mare was having her jabs and she said as long as I monitor the amount given, it shouldn't cause anaemia. Especially not with the amount she's fed - everything in moderation.

I've heard that it helps them produce a bitter/strong smelling sweat that helps keep flies off. Also, there is significant evidence that it's fantastic for respiratory health and has natural anti-inflammatory qualities. So I guess you just weigh out the pros and cons.