Fly Mask that does not rub

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No not tried one of those, do you use them? My other horse does not have a problem with them rubbing so goodness knows what is going on

I haven't tried one yet but I am tempted and it is only a matter of time before mine gets rubs. Anything rubs him if left on, and he has to have a fly mask basically 24/7 otherwise he gets terrible gunky runny eyes. He current has a Shires.

I did read good reviews on the PE lycra ones and recent asked a user of that style of they were any hotter and she hadn't noticed that they were. So I think I'll go for it.

It was between that and the Rambo beekeeper style. Might try both. But the lycra seems like a good bet for those that get rubs.

Nasicus

Visit site
I like the Rambo beekeeper ones the most. Put a Lycra one on the other day and he must have rolled/rubbed it as it had twisted and was covering one eye!
I shelled out for one of the Rambo ones recently, I was quite impressed with the clearance it gives her eyes, and it does up quite securely too.
I tried a lycra one in the past, and pony managed to pull it down over her eyes, so gave up on that.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Cashel are the best by far been using them for years not cheap but my Arabs have them on day and night sometimes and not had any rubs, they last much longer than the cheaper ones and I find they fit better.

L&M

Visit site
Have you tried the lycra masks? Premier Equine makes one as do a few others.
I have started to use these as also have problems with rubs, and so far so good, even when wet. They are hard for the horse to remove and give very good eye clearance - I have had more expensive masks rub my poor lads eyelashes and eyebrows out so am thoroughly converted....

L&M

Visit site
I use Harrison Howard masks and haven’t had any rubs so might be worth a try?
These are also great - but my lad is hogged and the buggery flies then used the hole designed to put the forelock through, to get inside the mask!!!!! Also found the mare kept managing to get hers off, but certainly no rubs.......would still choose the PE lycra one.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
These are also great - but my lad is hogged and the buggery flies then used the hole designed to put the forelock through, to get inside the mask!!!!! Also found the mare kept managing to get hers off, but certainly no rubs.......would still choose the PE lycra one.
Oh bummer! I don’t think that my ones have the forelock hole so maybe a different style? I must try a Lycra one for my big boy as he refuses to wear the others I’ve tried. I find it hung up on the fence ?

Love

Visit site
I know you have said you tried shires - have you tried the one with the sheepskin bit on the nose? I have my boy in this all the time as he has a permanently blocked tear duct - he is quite prone to things rubbing him but this hasn’t rubbed one bit. Had it 2 years now

neddy man

Visit site
A bit of needle and thread work will soon cure the fly access problem.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine are prone to rubs, I’ve never found a mask that I can use consistently and not rub.
I have lots of deferent brands and just alternate between them so the rub line is always slightly different which seems to prevent a bald line.

tatty_v

Visit site
My horse has to wear a guardian mask due to uveitis and that rubs horribly. I ended up sewing a lining from it using an old bossy bib - problem solved, no more rubs!

Shady

Visit site
I do to. It is in its second year, washes well and never had any rubbing problems.
I always use these too . They are great and just in case there are dished faced Arab owners on here other than me , the cob size fits perfectly!!
They have updated the design so now the brow and nose are padded where as older styles just had padding on the brow.
No forelock hole as far as I know. I always go for the silver so can't be sure what the other colours are like

Last edited: