Fly Mask to fit cob head with very good eye clearance *Recommendations please*

HoHum

Visit site
I normally use a fly fringe as not a huge fan of masks, but he has a slight weep in one eye. He's now in during the day, but thought'd I'd try a mask as more coverage than a fringe. I ordered a LeMieux Armour Shield Fly Protector in large. It is very nice, well padded, the right sort of mesh, stiff enough to hold itself away from his eyes, but still see through. However it is comically not going to fit a cob head: not enough fabric in the poll to stretch and allow it to slide down to cover his eyes and the velcro under his cheek won't even touch, never mind do up. He has by no means a huge head, he's 15hh and wears a cob/full bridle, but it is broad

So, anyone recommend a fly mask built for cob proportions, but with a good solid type mesh that won't collapse in on his eyes please?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I tried one of those and they would not even fit my 16hh fine build horse!

I do find the Equilibrium ones a better fit, very generous. There is padding to hold off the eyes, and you could sew a booster cushion!

The Rambo ones look to have a lot of eye clearance, but I have not tried one.

HoHum

Visit site
The Rambo ones look good in terms of eye clearance, but I've not found one locally yet to see how the sizing comes up. Can you see through the Equilibrium ones, they look dark, or should I not be worrying as he's not going to be cross country in it!

Nasicus

Visit site
I have a rambo one that came with the itchy ones Sweetitch Hoody, found it to be a generous fit and holds itself off the eyes well.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Not as big as the Rambo ones but the Shires deluxe have much better clearance than standard and I found their sizing very generous. My tb wears a cob where he would normally have a full and they go up to extra full.

HoHum

Visit site
Maybe I should order a shires and a rambo one.. just seems a lot of ££ when used to a £3.99 fly fringe... but he's worth it!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Have a read of a thread that I posted a few weeks ago.

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...ook-silly-in-my-new-hat.776352/#post-14035049

The Rambo has excellent eye clearance, but two of my three hated it (maybe because of the big opaque band) and the largest size was not really big enough for my 16.1hh IDx. I prefer the equilibriums or the cashels, and the silver colour not the black. Easier to see through.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've had a lemieux but much prefer the equilibriums so have gone back to them. It bugs me that to get the nose cover (we need a nose cover) you can't pull the forelock through though, but the fit is much better otherwise.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I love my Rambo bee keeper type. I have a big old ID x who takes full or even XF fly hoods and the full size fits him perfectly.
My only grr with it is that you have to put it on in the field rather than as I do with the others fly hood on then turn out as you can’t get a headcollar on over it! Fine for this horse who’s not one to tear off when I turn out.

criso

Visit site
My only grr with it is that you have to put it on in the field rather than as I do with the others fly hood on then turn out as you can’t get a headcollar on over

I didn't think of that, I can imagine my ym moaning. My worries were that the field mate wouldn't be able to resist grabbing it or could get caught when its wearer stuck his head in a hedgerow. Fortunately the Shires is doing what I wanted and not rubbing his eye.

eggs

Visit site
I bought a couple from Kramer which are very like the new Rambo one which gives very good eye clearance but are a lot cheaper. I would say that they tend to come up a bit big.

The headcollar does not fit over unless I undo the clip on the strap that goes under the cheeks (like a throat latch). Once I have done up the headpiece I can then clip it back up but as mine are good to lead I don't bother.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I didn't think of that, I can imagine my ym moaning. My worries were that the field mate wouldn't be able to resist grabbing it or could get caught when its wearer stuck his head in a hedgerow. Fortunately the Shires is doing what I wanted and not rubbing his eye.
It is a pita! Also if you had something difficult to catch I imagine it would be awkward having to remove it all before whipping the headcollar on 😂

Lucky788

Visit site
Shires are good and give good clearance better visibility than rambo, Rambo does sit off the face more
I prefer the shires overall :)

J&S

Visit site
I have just bought a Harrison Howard cob size fly mask off ebay. My mare has a long narrow face and the mask sits well away from her eyes. have a look maybe and perhaps get a full size one for a broader face. They are good value at 11.99 inc postage/ (no ears on mine)

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Shires are a great fit to give good eye clearance, the Kramer and Harrison Howard ones I tried were too close fitting. Equilibrium also good but pricey

brightmount

Visit site
My horse wears the Rambo one and it really is excellent. She gets so stressed when it’s not on, and visibly relaxes when it goes on. She never takes it off even though all her field mates have removed theirs (other makes). It’s in its second year and I have made some modifications including fleece patches inside where she has rubbed. I would say they come up slightly small. My 16hh ISH is in the cob size that fits but only just. I used Equilibrium for years and like them a lot but the eye clearance isn’t as good if that’s an issue.

Bartleby.

Visit site
Shires fit both my massive-headed lump and my Welsh B, definitely recommeded. The Shires earless ones are also great for massive forelocks as you avoid the crazy clown look!

vhf

Visit site
I have one in the Shires mask, - cob is a generous fit on a pretty-headed 15hh cobx, she's failed to kill it like she has every rug she ever wears... sensible TB has the dark Equilibrium one as was more expensive (got full, should have had cob). I tested it and yes you can see fine - in fact, I think she rather likes using it as "sunglasses" on bright days! Both are now several years old and still going strong.

ponios

Visit site
Highly recommend the Rambo, I switched to it after using the shires deluxe which I found irritated the eyes on the two that were wearing them. the mesh creased and that got to the eye.

criso

Visit site
After a week, Frankie's eye is all better. However he has managed to rip it to shreds last night , may have had help from my other horse. I'm furious and the special offer is no longer there.