Fly masks

Groom Mum

Visit site
Can you keep fly masks on indefinitely? I'm going away for a week. One of my boys will NOT let anyone but me put his fly mask on ( takes me half an hour. He's very head shy). So was wondering if I could put it on before I go and leave it on 24/7 ? Or is it dangerous ?
Thanks.

be positive

Visit site
If he is that nervous I would not risk leaving one on, it could move or get caught on something and make matters worse, I rarely use them and when I do I don't tend to leave them on 24/7 even with my sensible lot, is he ok generally for other people to deal with in case of an emergency where a vet is needed.

Groom Mum

Visit site
If he is that nervous I would not risk leaving one on, it could move or get caught on something and make matters worse, I rarely use them and when I do I don't tend to leave them on 24/7 even with my sensible lot, is he ok generally for other people to deal with in case of an emergency where a vet is needed.

He's better with me. But he's sort of ok with my helper. But I don't think she will get the mask on him. I really didn't wanna go a week without the mask as the flies are bad and he gets sore eyes. But I'm not taking a chance of leaving it on in case he hurts himself.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i only have mask on during the day as i am not happy to leave it on overnight so i would definately not leave on all of the time. i would rather she got sore eyes than risked getting caught up on something or not being able to see properly at night...

michelledud

Visit site
Would your horse be safer with a fly fringe whilst you are away? You can get ones that fit without a head collar - Less likely to get caught on anything!

Groom Mum

Visit site
Would your horse be safer with a fly fringe whilst you are away? You can get ones that fit without a head collar - Less likely to get caught on anything!

They are ok with fly fringes I used them before I bought the masks. But are they safe to leave on 24 hrs ? Although I think my helper would get that on him a lot easier than the mask. Although it doesn't keep the flies off their eyes as well as the mask.

The Snowman

Visit site
I leave my pony's fly mask on all the time when he is in the field, he does occasionally manage to get it off on his own by scratching on the ground so I wouldn't be worried about him getting it caught on anything. It depends what fencing you have I would think too. We have just plastic posts with electric fence so they don't tend to scratch on the posts, and have no shelters or trees to get stuck on either.

xgemmax

Visit site
My boy has his on 24/7 as he lives out and I only come up once a day in the evening (he is checked in morning) I find the flies are worse when in the evenings sometimes anyway!