Fly masks.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They do seem to slip off easier when you have very small ears ;). We seem to have the sort of flies that prefer eyes and muzzles over ears.

For staying on the equilibrium ones seem to suit us best due to the elastic. Unfortunately they don't do one either without ears or with a forelock space (and we have a lot of that) with a nose piece. We absolutely need UV nose coverage year roud so he currently wears and equilibirum midi and a field safe headcollar with a nose cover.

Visit site
Depends what sort you want to be honest and how much you want to spend. The top of the range Equilibrium ones are fab but about £30 but have been designed by Vets with 70% UV protection. One of mine headshakes so he has one of these as it is a full face mask with ears and nose. The other one has just one which covers the eyes and has ear holes. It is a Mark Todd one and was about £10 and is very good value for money - and he hasn't taken it off yet! The fly masks have been invaluable this year though and mine are practically living in theirs at the moment.

SEL

Visit site
The Appy with the sun sensitive eyes has the equilibrium one, although I have to remove the nose bit. Ardennes has XL Shires without ears. Mainly because his ears are too big and he likes his forelock out.

I have at least 2 of each so they can be washed properly

Baroque

Visit site
I've started using the Rambo Plus Vamoose on all mine this year and am very happy with the decision. I love how the mesh is held well away from their eyes and even my fly mask loathing mare is happy.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The Appy with the sun sensitive eyes has the equilibrium one, although I have to remove the nose bit. Ardennes has XL Shires without ears. Mainly because his ears are too big and he likes his forelock out.

I have at least 2 of each so they can be washed properly

lol we could trade for your nose bit :D :D

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
Crusader style with nose net & ears. I have never seen the point of having a face mask without ears.

See i don't understand the point of the ears. Flies don't go on their ears & i think the ear covers must be annoying & hot? Mine don't have ears & never seen a fly get in. I also don't like the thick mesh or white coloured ones. If you try looking through them the fine mesh black ones seem easiest to see through. I quite like the shires ones and they sit away from the eyes well. Hate seeing masks right against their eyes.

Nasicus

Visit site
I like the Nobel Outfitters Guardsman Masks, I got given a barely used one and liked it enough on the cob to buy one for the youngster too.
Not sure I'd pay the price they charge on the NO website, but I picked the second up for around £20 in a local tackshop. I like that the nose is removable, and that it's made to stand off of the horses eyes. The little space to write emergency contact details is a nice touch too.
Youngster is no longer wearing hers as I've shelled out for a boett and hood, but cob continues to wear hers.

Only issue is that it doesn't come with an option for a hole for the forelock. Fine for horses with pitiful forelocks like my youngster, but the cob has a forelock longer than her face and plenty of it, so I did cut a hole for the forelock to go through. I will say though, the hole is holding up really well and hasn't ripped or frayed any further!

asmp

Visit site
See i don't understand the point of the ears. Flies don't go on their ears & i think the ear covers must be annoying & hot? Mine don't have ears & never seen a fly get in. I also don't like the thick mesh or white coloured ones. If you try looking through them the fine mesh black ones seem easiest to see through. I quite like the shires ones and they sit away from the eyes well. Hate seeing masks right against their eyes.

If ours didn't have ears on their masks, their ears would be full of blood from the horrid midges.

I also like and use the Rambo Plus ones (but have to buy them in the sales as they are so expensive)

Last edited:

Britestar

Visit site
Equine sun visors from the USA. Expensive but they are the only ones they keep on and have the most UV protection for one one with uvetitis.

pippixox

Visit site
I like cashel fly masks. Seem to last well, fit well, space for forelock. My mare has long nose one as pink nose, other long nose ones seem to sit wrong and irritate her.
Must have ears- midges are terrible.
Sadly my new forest pony takes all makes off! But my other 2 live in their masks unless in the barn.

brightmount

Visit site
I've started using the Rambo Plus Vamoose on all mine this year and am very happy with the decision. I love how the mesh is held well away from their eyes and even my fly mask loathing mare is happy.

I've always used the Equilibrium ones and sworn by them but with all the flies appearing early this year I needed a nose net so got a Rambo one. It looked a good idea how it's held away from the face with a stiffener. I have to say it's been excellent, my horse is very tolerant of it and she hasn't removed it or even budged it, and it's on 24/7. She hates it when I take it off.

whiteflower

Visit site

I've started using these this year and love the design that stands out from the eyes and was going to get them for all the horses but the two that have them both have rubs on the back of the ears. Really disappointed as love the look of them can only assume the ear holes are a bit small, both quite dainty horses that done have huge ears.

I also like the le mieux ones (the original slightly more expensive ones) good coverage, no rubbing and stay on well. I use the full face one 24/7 on a sweet itch sufferer

Follysmum

Visit site
I have been using the equilibrium ones but have just purchased some shires ones from hopevalley as they were only £10 with free delivery and they have been great also

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I really like the Lemieux ones - but my horse found it rubbed this year.
I tried a few cheaper ones on eBay as wanted different shapes and have been impressed by the Harrison Howard CareMaster - good value at £10 :).

JFTDWS

Visit site
The highlands have equilibrium ones, which have done two summers, give or take, and are pretty good. The mare has a cheap £6 one from Kramer, which has done really well - she's hard on them, rubs a lot, but it's stood up to it, and I don't often find it off her. Will replace them all at the end of summer from Kramer, I think.

HashRouge

Visit site
I have two Cashel ones at the moment. They had equilibrium's last year but the left marks on their noses so I went back to Cashel this year. I've tried the Shires ones but I don't like the new design with elastic behind the ears. Also, the fleece band above the eyes makes them sit quite oddly. I know it's supposed to keep the mask away from the eyes, but I wasn't hugely happy with how they sat on either of my two.