Fly repellent - amazing!

Orangehorse

Yesterday my son put something onto his cattle as a fly repellent. Cattle get annoyed by and suffer from flies as much as horses and can get serious eye infections and other things, and you don't handle the cattle every day to spot it until it is bad, and then there is the problem of fetching one in from the field a mile away .......

Amazing - today we were sorting them into batches in a smelly outdoor yard and not one animal had flies on its head. It is supposed to work for at least 6 weeks. I was looking for the carton to see what it was, but I couldn't decide which one, and I suppose that it might not be licenced for horses. I wish I had asked the vet, I would have if I had known they were doing that.

If only it was available for horses.

Quigleyandme

We use Butox here. Only licenced for cattle and sheep but routinely used on equines too. I have a field of bull calves here and none of them are experiencing any fly worry. All I can see of them at the moment is their yellow ear tags as they are all lying down under the trees but the tags aren’t moving.

Tiddlypom

Probably fly pour or switch
That's what I use. They are the same product, but Switch comes in smaller bottles (250ml) and costs much more per application than Flypor.

Vets can legally prescribe Flypor off label for horses, though, and so I bought a 3l bottle a few weeks ago. It's 40 ml per horse applied weekly to the top line.

4% w/v permethrin.

Last edited:

ycbm

I've just bought deltamethrin, same chemical as Coopers but cheaper, from the Farm Supplies shop because Joe is so bothered by being bitten. It has been tested on horses but not licensed. It's a huge bonus that it stops ticks when you live in deer country.

cost £21 for 250ml, 25 doses, lasts 4-6 weeks per dose.

Rowreach

I've just bought deltamethrin, same chemical as Coopers but cheaper, from the Farm Supplies shop because Joe is so bothered by being bitten. It has been tested on horses but not licensed. It's a huge bonus that it stops ticks when you live in deer country.

cost £21 for 250ml, 25 doses, lasts 4-6 weeks per dose.
That’s about half the price of Coopers.

soloequestrian

Many years ago I used one of these pour-on repellents on a horse and she came up in a huge weal right down her back where the liquid had spread. I've never dared use one since. Has anyone else had this or could it just have been that one horse?

windand rain

As with any new chemical it is best to spot test on a fairly hairless bit of the horse to test for a reaction 48 hours should be enough

Tiddlypom

I don't use Spotinor, I use Flypor (4% permethrin) which for horses is a once weekly application along the top line. Interestingly for cattle it's application every 4-8 weeks.

It's definitely been less effective this week, it was last applied on Saturday. I have been cold hosing the horses all over several times a day during the heatwave, which may well have something to do with that. I wouldn't normally hose along their top lines, just in this extreme heat.