fly repellent pour on stuff?

mandwhy

Visit site
So the flies have arrived once again, I had hoped they all froze to death (ok ok not all of them, biodiversity and all that) but this eve my horses were absolutely plagued with giant mozzies. The nearby river makes this horrendous.

So I think I have seen on here someone speak of an expensive but effective sort of bath or pour on liquid that lasts a few days? Would like to look into that if anyone knows what it is.

I normally make variations of the tea/vinegar concoction but my haffy is an itchy girl and I am desperate for her tail to be full again - not exactly sweet itch but has those tendencies and living in the river fly zone may push her over the edge!

Smelly things don't repel cullicoides anyway do they?

magicsmum

Visit site
We had flypour from the vet last summer, lasted about 6 weeks per application, think he said I was made for cows but works well on horses. the bottle was about £40 but will last couple of years. Really seemed to help my mare last year.

indie999

Visit site
We had flypour from the vet last summer, lasted about 6 weeks per application, think he said I was made for cows but works well on horses. the bottle was about £40 but will last couple of years. Really seemed to help my mare last year.

This does work. I think its called Flypor? spell? Our local vets did sell us a small amount as we had a horse losing hair(bald circles) we tried everything and they gave us this but you have to put it ie in areas they cannot reach easily(ie along back where they cant get to). It burns so wear some gloves. What we did was put it on gauze and dab it over(Farmers use it as a drench). Just dont put it on broken skin or near eyes or anywhere sensitive. Our vet said its the only thing that works. It did. You can buy it on line but it is expensive(but then when I was spending ie £17 x2-3 times on naff off etc) it works out good value as you only need a little bit. Good luck .

dalesslave

Visit site
it is licenced for use in cattle only so will need to be prescribed off licence by your vet( its used as a pour on not a drench by farmers i hope!) please dont try to buy it online by lying about its intended use if people keep doing this we will lose the entire sqp system and therefore have to purchase ALL animal medicines from your vet including wormers Britain is the only EU country with system still !

Dexter

Visit site
Butox Swish. £17 ish for 250ml, you need 30ml per horse. It lasts about a month for flies and does ticks and lice as well :)

dalesslave

Visit site
Swish is another product not licensed for use in horses unfortunately VET can prescribe off licence though .Deosect is quite useful contains cypermethrin which is the active ingredient in some sheep pour ons just different concentration and the flectron fly tags sometimes used in cattle

Last edited:

mandwhy

Visit site
Thanks, everyone, dabbing it on seems like a good idea as I don't know how accurate pouring can be.. Hmm so is deosect one that you can buy normally? I don't know if its easy to get a vet to give you things 'off license'? I'm not on buddy terms with the vet or anything! They are equine only as well (newmarket) so does that mean they won't deal with these more farming related things? I suppose I can mention when he comes to do vaccs :)

dalesslave

Visit site
there is a legal system called the cascade system that allows vets to be able to prescribe certain chemicals /drugs if no other medicine is authorised for specific problems but the vet must have "clear auditable clinical evidence" to support their decision

mandwhy

Visit site
Interesting, so the evidence would be e.g if the horse is covered in bad bite reactions or sore on rubbed areas? I was kind of hoping to get there before such things might happen.

For anyone interested there is some info about the chemicals in deosect on this thread http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=178962

So the stuff in coopers is similar but a bit milder, the type of chemical that kills rather than repels. Pretty badass but would definitely want to do a patch test and sponge it on to avoid it getting anywhere it shouldn't (like near cats and fish!).

Dexter

Visit site
The place I get Swish from sells it for horses, a lot of places only for cows. Quite frankly, and I know this may not be popular, but I dont really care :eek: Mine are all signed out of the food chain and I am in an area that horrendous for ticks being at the foot of the moors and overrun with deer so its more important for me that I have something that works :)

mandwhy

Visit site
Gosh I've never even SEEN a tick, they sound horrid!

I think I might just get some coopers fly repellent plus, or the deosect. Coopers is available for 24 quid inc postage and deosect about 29 so there's not much in it, but you have to mix the deosect every time and it does sound like some pretty bad chemicals that melt plastic and all kinds! Just not sure how much difference there will be between the two. If they're about the same the coopers sounds easier and more pleasant!

katherine1975

Visit site
I used coopers last year, changing to deosect as better value for money. Coopers is ready to use and less applications per bottle than deosect.

Dexter

Visit site
Ticks are vile disgusting creatures! They seem to like the white bits! My grey mare picked up more than 20 over night one year :( I got bitten twice. The second time I got the bullseye mark and then had to have 9 months off on the sick which an undiagnosed illness that had all the symptoms of Lymes disease :( Second person to have that happen in the area so we are very careful now!