Fly Rug Recommendations ! Mine are Rubbish

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
I'm at my wits end with flipping fly rugs. Both my horses need to wear them and currently they are both wearing the same 'Loveson Combo' (the white cotton ones with navy stitching), and they are proper rubbish. They move all over the place, the neck falls down and they are cut really badly. They have only worn them twice each and already they are straining at the seams and the neck straps are twisting and rubbing. Although I don't feel its fair to return the rugs to our local country store I am pretty mad. I will be replacing these rugs ASAP and would love to hear your recommendations. I've heard good reports about the Mark Todd Air Mesh Combo, any reviews??? My horses wear PE rugs in the winter, but would rather not spend this kind of money on 2 fly rugs! Thank you muchly ! :)

buddylove

Visit site
Mark Todd ultra. Stands up to a lot of abuse from my thug. He started the season with a bucas which ended up literally in shreds round his neck :-( thank goodness I didn't pay full price for it!

brightmount

Visit site
Shame you don't want to pay for PE: if you sign up they do £20 off deals on a daily basis so there will be a deal on fly rugs every week. I thoroughly recommend the Superlite. It's tough, stays put, reflects the sun and weighs next to nothing so is almost as good as naked. You can get it with or without a belly flap.

cassdennis

New User
Visit site
I recommend the shires sweetitch rug, I aswell was sick to death of the fly rugs splitting and breaking every 5 mins! had several amigo ones i tried to rotate last year that were definatley not coming into this summer alive!
also find this rug is good against the wet weather! (not waterpoof but nor does he get soaked to the bone!)

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks to you all who took the time to reply. After much umm-ing and arr-ing I have settled on a PE. Those who know me will be rolling their eyes and raising their eyebrows, again. I happened to be in the right place at the right time yesterday and managed to find an odd PE 'Bug Buster' for £45.00 in my local tack shop, (last one at 6ft 9") RRP £65.00. Tried it on last night and well impressed at the fit and the price :D
Oh and also had to shell out on a new fly mask (always buy the shires ones as I like the double velcro closures), as yesterday morning I was greeted with my lovely ISH sporting a new 'necklace' with just the ear pieces intact ... love him, whilst Miss TBX was smirking and still wearing hers in perfect order .... :rolleyes: Thanks again peeps! Happy safe riding! :)

KVH

Visit site
I've heard good reports about the Mark Todd Air Mesh Combo, any reviews??? My horses wear PE rugs in the winter, but would rather not spend this kind of money on 2 fly rugs! Thank you muchly ! :)

At first glance I was impressed by the MT Air Mesh, but ended up torn and ripped within days (horse not a rug trasher) and the neck didn't stay up at all.
PE fly rugs are great.