Fly rug sizes, help please

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Shires fly rug owners can you help? My horse wears 6'3" Rambo and Rhino Wugs. She needs a new fly sheet desperately. I have tried a Shires Tempest 6' on her but it is, of course, too small. Local shop has only 6'6". Silly question maybe but would that swamp her? Thanks in advance.

WelshD

Visit site
I prefer my fly rugs on the big side as long as they fit round the chest - I find the excess fabric tends to be at the back end of the horse and it drapes nicely over the quarters providing a little extra coverage. I don't find the Tempest overly generous so you may well be fine

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
TBH I think rug manufacturers make up the sizes as they go along; and if you buy one size on one specific occasion for a particular horse, then there's absolutely no guarantee that if you repeat the exact process, that the rug you buy next time will fit!!!

It is SO infuriating. I bought one from Premier Equine last year for my boy, it was way way too big, it totally swamped him, so back it had to go.

Similarly, I bought the new Weatherbeeta Hoody Sweet Itch rug for my traddie, again it was way too big and just overwhelmed him, so big in fact that it started pulling itself off him :( Gaaarrggh, so flippin annoying.