Fly rug

SJ90

New User
Visit site
Hi I have a mare who gets absolutely hounded by flys, no matter what spray I use, I'm looking to buy her a new fly rug for this summer but want something wth an elasticated neck so it stays up as she will NOT keep her ears in one and it ends up twisted, also needs a belly flap as need as much coverage as possible, she has fly boots! I've looked at mark Todd and boett, which is looking the best although she doesn't get sweet itch but is very grouchy I sometimes have to leave her stabled in day and turn out at night as she really does get pestered and gallops round all day then gets into a sweat and doesn't have a nice time of it in summer. nothing has worked so far so hoping I can get a decent rug so she can enjoy summer!!

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine has a rambo sweet itch hoody, he doesn't have sweet itch but his field is very bad for horse flies and this rug plus his field shelter means he's much calmer.

I don't put his ears through holes but neck does stay up....

image.jpg1_6.jpg

JCWHITE

Visit site
Horze do a sweetitch rug which i use on a horse similar to yours.
Bit of a faff to put on, but, would absolutely buy again instead of a standard fly rug, which he got too hot and sweaty in. Washed well and dried quickly. There is a full face mask neck cover available seperatly so no gaps around the head area.
I used Rambo fly boots, whcih fly boots do you use?

SJ90

New User
Visit site
I honestly couldnt say what make the boots are I just bought them in a hurry as she was getting pestered and also has pink skin on her back leg which got badly sunburn so bought some fly boots with uv protection, really isn't a nice time for her in summer bless her, will look up the horze rug Thankyou, never he a problem till last summer she's never had to wear a fly rug/spray or boots but last year she had a right crap time x

wiglet

Visit site
I have a Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody and a Mark Todd Ultra Combo fly rug.
The Rambo is excellent, hard wearing, well made and fits well. I do put ears through the holes but they always come out - the neck stays up anyway. It has a bit of a belly flap but it do get a bit 'gappy' sometimes.

The Mark Todd is softer material so more prone to snags and rips. However, I love this rug - the neck cover stays up and has never rubbed anywhere. It has a good belly flap which can be fastened snugly to prevent fly bites.

Must just mention though that in hot weather, both these rugs IMO would be too warm for a horse. On really hot days I use a Rambo Protector - not as much protection or coverage but at least she stays cool in it.

Hope this helps your decision :)