Fly rugs without neck cover

LauraL23

Visit site
Can anyone recommend me a fly sheet either without neck cover or with a removable one?

I don't use neck covers as they rub his mane out, i currently have a riff raff one but it's not a very good fit around his shoulders.

Any recommendations appreciated :)

Lilyhead

Visit site
I've the Rambo protector, the neck comes off it if needed. Although I've never had rubbing issues with it, seems very tough it's on it's 3rd summer with no rips at all. They it my TB and the chunky CB x TB very well.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Amigo bug/fly rug (not the Mio) has a detachable neck. I have two and so far the rug wrecking grey hasn't managed to destroy hers or the one that her best mate wears (they like to play a bit roughly and she destroyed her last fly rug pretty quickly :( ).

LauraL23

Visit site
Thanks all :)
I thought about cutting the neck off one but i think the edge bit would just sit too tight around his neck/shoulder, and there would be no wither pad or anything like there is on most neckless rugs.

alext

Visit site
I brought a mark Todd fly rug for my boy. He's a dales x tb so fairly well built! I went for the next size up but ended up with two sizes up ( brought at a show bag said 6'6 actual rug 6'9) it's a bit long but not massively I was a bit disappointed it isn't very deep so it's quite tight round his shoulders considering its such a big size! He does have big shoulders though . but having said that for the price it's a nice rug would probably suit a slightly finer horse though!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I have a rambo protector with detatchable neck which I love and a super smart eskadron one without a neck which I got from Germany on ebay. Both are great but eskadron is a lot cheaper if you search a bit.

DressageCob

Visit site
THat's funny alext because my horse has a very wide chest and big shoulders (built like a bulldog!!) and this rug is just right on his shoulders, whereas on the Amigo it's far too snug.

haras

Visit site
I have a Rambo Protector on my chunky arab mare with very long mane. I don't use the neck part and it fits really well, stays in place without twisting etc and has satin over the shoulders so doesn't rub. She's normally in a 5'6 and this is a 5'6 and fits well. I have the amigo version too (with removable neck) which is also a 5'6 and is far too tight accross her chest and shoulders, so if you go for amigo you'd probably need to go up a size. The Rambo one protects the belly and tops of legs fairly well too and is really strong. MInes 4 years old now and still as good as new. Only thing I'd say is my mare does sweat a bit in hers on very hot days, where the satin bit is. Nice rug though!

alext

Visit site
Haha maybe I got an odd shaped one? Or an odd shaped horse bless him! He's not that big though by any standards but i always struggle with finding rugs deep enough for him!