Fly spray…. Is it me?!

GoodBoyNice

Visit site
I must have purchased every fly repellent on the market and found them all to be useless and a waste of money.Its all marketing hype and i will never be stung again by it all - pardon the pun.
I use Neem Oil now which has a variety of uses for humans and horses.Seems to keep the pesky flies away better than other products that failed to work.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I did have some success with Hot Horse fly spray. Rigs is black so really attracts them. I could have done a video the same as their advert, where the horse fly landed and wandered around aimlessly, seemingly unable to bite.

They did also seem to be less around him, like one time I washed him and he had 6 on him, then sprayed and he had a couple come to have a look, then fly ff again disappointed.

Bought a shed load this year!

Going to give this a go for my black pony I think.

We don't usually get that many flies up here but we're plagued with them at moment. Up until this week I'd seen one single horsefly in the 5 years we've lived here. This week they are absolutely everywhere.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've never found anything that works like it's claimed to.

And I've never found anything which works better for a short time than 50/50 dettol and vinegar. (Don't douse them in it, it can cause bad scurf patches of dead skin in sensitive horses).

I am using Spotinor cattle/sheep spot on for the second year and finding it extremely effective. It also stops ticks anywhere on the body. I repeat every 3 weeks when its effectiveness starts to fade.
This is what I am using currently, almost just because it’s easy and makes me feel like I’m doing something!

Squeak

Visit site
This is what I am using currently, almost just because it’s easy and makes me feel like I’m doing something!

I'm using a mixture of cider vinegar, dettol, tcp and some citronella fly spray to apply liberally in the field. Agreed that if nothing else it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

The flies do seem particularly vicious this year. Following this thread I'm very tempted to try a ride on fringed zebra fly rug. I could/ should sell my two basically brand new Rambo fly rugs to fund it.

Also tempted to try the hot horse spray that Red has mentioned. Otherwise, Phaser is still the only fly spray that I've found to have any impact at all with horseflies - the nettex summer freedom cream seems to really help with the midges though.

Alibear

Visit site
Never found any that work. It's the horseflies that cause the issue and they don't give a stuff about power phaser, deet, icardin (sp?) or tri-tec amongst many others. They've appeared in the last week and Friday's ride we had to trot on a bit to get away from them, which seems to be the only option. But in a few weeks, it would mean fast hacks required from start to finish. So the hacking season has stopped for us now. Thankfully there's one park and ride place in the forest that doesn't seem to get them. So I'll recruit a friend and try to box over there on the weekends.

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm probably going to jinx it but I think we've been quite lucky this year. We're using a new spray called neddy fly spray I think it is. Smells lovely. We also use the citronella tags- one on the bridle and one on the saddle. Not had to use this year yet but when it gets really bad we use the zebra ride on rug and a fly mask.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Trisec is the only one that helps with the midges and black flies but it’s not cheap and you do need to use it regularly.

Honestly getting a ride on fly rug was a total game changer for me. Wish I’d done it years ago. I had one from Kramer with a neck, body and nice big tail flap and it made a huge difference to our hacks. When I get another ridden horse I’ll be getting another one, no more hacks plagued by nasty biting flies! I also used to pop my fly mask over the bridle which really helped with any head shaking. We looks like some kind of comedy Monty Python jousting pony but he was much happier for it.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I borrowed a dairy anti fly tag from a farmer friend which seemed to work alright, then I vaguely remembered reading it wasn't good for horses so didn't use it the next year, which was a crying shame!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Touching wood, but we use Tritec. It’s expenisve, but doesn’t need spraying daily, unless they get wet or sweat. We do spray the sweet itchy one 2x daily, though. But, we rarely get any issues since using it. We road in a really midge and horse fly area on Monday,and the only ones who had the horse fly issue, was us 2 riders! Think shall spray ourselves next time!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I borrowed a dairy anti fly tag from a farmer friend which seemed to work alright, then I vaguely remembered reading it wasn't good for horses so didn't use it the next year, which was a crying shame!

It isn't licensed for horses, neither is the pour on, or one of the most recommended sprays. Because they've never been tested for the licencing. That doesn't equate to "not good for horses" and my vet was recommending the ear tags 30+ years ago. I just couldn't keep them in the mane.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It isn't licensed for horses, neither is the pour on, or one of the most recommended sprays. Because they've never been tested for the licencing. That doesn't equate to "not good for horses" and my vet was recommending the ear tags 30+ years ago. I just couldn't keep them in the mane.

Well, the not being able to keep it attached to horse is why I didn't research too much into it but that makes so much sense! It was effective when it was tied to tack though

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have been to the feed shop today and looked at some sprays.

If I have remembered correctly NAF Deet and Carr Day and Martin Extra have 20% Deet w/w. ( whatever that means )
Phazer has 5.5ml per 100ml.

NAF is £18.90 for 750ml.
500ml CDM costs £14.98 and 500ml Phazer £16.50.

I have ordered Biteback Superfly 500ml ( as posted earlier)
It is £18.99 on offer at the moment plus £4.50 postage, which makes it super expensive too. It has 20% icaridin.

As always it is what works for you and your horse.
Or in many cases, not.?

Kaylum

Visit site
I just use citronella and water. Add drops to water to make sure it's strong smelling and put in a spray bottle. Patch test first as some have a reaction. All the yard uses it.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I haven't bought fly spray for years. Mostly useless in my opinion. Neem oil is most effective, but my mare suddenly decided the smell meant imminent death. I was recommended Selsun 2.5 % on here and use that as a slosh solution twice a week (about 20 mL per 2 litres water). She tolerates that really well. I also discovered by accident that Farrier Shire Oil for feathers repels midges really well, so I use that in between washes on her undercarriage (she also wears a sweet itch rug, but still bites her udders and armpits when irritated) and around her face. They do have a shelter and are sensible, so I've never had an issue with burns. So far we have no skin tears, so fingers crossed. I use the oil on my gelding's bits too for longer hacks at midgey times. He gets a slosh down with the same Selsun solution when sweaty after work. I don't rinse. I'm the only one not moaning about flies on my yard I think. Unsure why but even horseflies haven't really appeared around the shelter. Only swatted one there, this year, despite another livery having them swarm around her field (as I discovered when I went for a chat)!

hock

Visit site
Spotinor is the only fly treatment that I know gives me a week of no flies and I am so great full to have it. It was this forum that told me about it and before this I was using tritec and power phaser spray and then gel for riding. It gives me so much peace of mind knowing it helps my lot. I feel kinda smug about it as if I’ve discovered the holy grail … ?

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I got the "Busse Moskito Exercise Sheet Full Neck Ride-On Fly Rug with Fly-Busting Fringes" last year and found the horse to be much more settled with it on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ive looked up spotinor. It says dont use on horses?

The hyperdrug blurb says "Extra-label use of the product in the non-target species dogs and cats can lead to toxic neurological signs (ataxia, convulsions, tremors), digestive signs (hypersalivation, vomiting) and may be fatal." To me, that indicates that they do actually believe it to be safe on horses in spite of not having been licenced for horses, or horses would be in that list.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I got the "Busse Moskito Exercise Sheet Full Neck Ride-On Fly Rug with Fly-Busting Fringes" last year and found the horse to be much more settled with it on.

I bought the one without the fringe. It worked in as much as my pony wasn’t bothered by flies but he got so hot he became overheated.
I used it twice.