Fly spray...for me!

a kind of magic

Visit site
Any recommendations? Every day since the hot weather started I have been eaten alive by pesky horseflies.

I am absolutely covered in bites! :eek: Is there anything I can spray on myself to keep them away? Any suggestions on how to soothe the itch and hopefully bring down some of the swelling too?

I have been taking piriton and using Anthisan but it doesn't seem to be enough?

starryeyed

Visit site
We're overwhelmed with mosquitos, midges & flies and for the first time ever I've had to go out and buy myself some spray! :eek: I'm really sensitive to their bites and my arms/legs are completely swollen up so raided boots for some Jungle Formula spray and it seems to be working really well so far - very strong though, don't breathe it in! And whatever you do, don't get it anywhere near your mouth as I managed to do this today and it completely numbed my lips and tasted foul! Hate to think what's in it but the bugs don't like it ;)
We have the boots own brand repellent spray too which seems to work well and smells slightly better than the jungle formula.

I did try using the horses fly spray on me (naf deet) but it brought me out in a nasty rash so think I'll leave that in the feed room where it belongs :eek:

I found that calamine really helped soothe my bites, there's also a jungle formula cooling spray which really helps to stop the bites itching x

Sootsme

Visit site
Autan has always worked well for me for keeping flies away, again don't breathe in! Use anthisan to soothe but have to apply more frequently than they say on the box, but it is effective for me.

a kind of magic

Visit site
Off to boots later, got some Avon Skin-So-Soft spray that I usually use on the horses but have used on myself today for the time being...hope it works! I will slap some more anthisan on in the meantime, my god they itch!

Sophstar

Visit site
Best thing to soothe the itching is an ice pack...general antihistamines don't do anything for me (except knock me out for a good few hours!) and I have to sit with cold flannels on me at work:rolleyes:. I got bitten 7 times on Monday and my legs resembled those of the elephant man yesterday...so painful!

fishy

Visit site
I bought some mosquito/insect repellant bands from a pound shop. There are 2 in a pack and seem to be quite good. Have used them a few times when out hacking and haven't been bothered by the flies. Then popped them back in the bag to be used again.

mandwhy

Visit site
Hmm bands sound good, trip down the pound shop for me I think!

I always used the autan stick that was like a deodorant, you have to cover every inch but it smells mild and pleasant unlike the others!

I put superglue on small itchy bites, I don't know why or if it is healthy but it works!

Archiepoo

Visit site
well id heard the avon skin so soft recipe has changed and no longer works on detering the pesky flies? has anyone tried the naf citronella wristbands??

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Skin-so-soft does work - broguht a box load of the special offer spray at the weekend - the Fuzzies have been virtually fly free.

I've been using it on my exposed arms, neck etc etc in the evenings down the yard - and no bites :) - and I'm usually the 1st person to be covered with nasty gnat bites etc.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i just just myself a quick spray with Avon skin-so-soft when i am dowsing Chico with it. Not had any problems with any biting insects and i plan to take a bottle away on holiday to the eastern Med with me :)