Fly strike

Berpisc

Visit site
I am currently nursing a pony with chronic grass sickness (yes the vet is involved)
Along with this nightmare I am now fighting off b*stard flies, and would appreciate tips on effective and preferably ointment based fly repellant. Any other tips would be helpful.
I am keeping a close eye on her rear end and removing eggs etc, her tail is loosely plaited up and everything kept clean. So far I am keeping things ok. I have been using deet fly repellant but blowflies are particularly persistent and I need something more effective.
She has been having an hour or so outside but I might have to stop this sadly.

be positive

Visit site
If she benefits from getting out, which I am sure she will, I would continue to let her and just ensure she is wiped down well each day when she come in to remove any eggs, any oil based or cream fly repellent applied liberally before going out should reduce the risk, possibly put a tail bandage on if it is difficult to keep the tail clean, I would just keep a careful eye on her and keep her as clean as you can while she is poorly, I hope she continues to improve.

meleeka

Visit site
Could you use something like Deosect? Summer fly cream is excellent on delicate bits so might work. It’s bright yellow so you’d need to apply with gloves, but I imagine your mare having a yellow rear end is the least of your problems.

I hope she’s feeling better soonx

Cecile

Visit site
I would treat as I would a sheep in some respects, clip out if hairy and bypass anything with the vet (Due to her illness) like can you apply spot on? If it happens get a hose on it, the bu**ers leg it quickly when water is applied

Keep her as clean as possible, possible fly rug or summer sheet in the paddock, yellow Summer fly cream as meleeka suggested is excellent, fly papers in the stable, clean bedding and water (That sounds rude but not intended to be)

Yellow is the in colour this year
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Battles-Su...m_term=1101500676886&utm_content=All Products

I bought an electric fly zapper which I can hang up outside (Under cover) but can't use it as every time it zaps something the pony with cataracts reacts to it, he can't work out what or where it is coming from :(

I forgot to add link for spot on
https://www.greensfarmsupplies.co.uk/article/spot-on-for-sheep/16554

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Would a sweet-itch style rug help??

If so your choices are basically the Boett style (expensive so be warned!); or the classic rug-style with plenty of coverage such as Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody (expensive again, sorry!), or cheaper version is Premier Equine Sweet Itch hoody rug. You might find something cheaper on e-bay, but if buying make sure to ask whether they've been washed in a hotter wash (i.e. over 30C) and/or biological detergents, as IME the Rambo will easily shrink a size down if this happens and the rug-size advertised may not be true, might be too small. Its happened to me.

A plain bog-standard "fly rug" might not just give you enough protection, some of them seem quite skimpy TBH.

Sorry don't know what else to suggest. These sweet itch rugs give very good coverage against fly's/midges and hopefully would stop the flys getting on the horse to bite in the first place.

Last edited:

Berpisc

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, I have ordered some yellow fly cream as they didn't have any of that sort at our local agricultural suppliers. That will arrive tomorrow. Meantime have got another fly repellant gel that I used today.
If I can maintain good hygiene, stay vigilant to any maggots and use fly repellant ointment I will see how we progress. Luckily her stable doesn't get a lot of flies in and like you say Cecile, keep her stable as clean as possible and of course her dock area. I have come across fly strike when we had sheep eons ago, its horrible. I was hoping to avoid taking her tail hair off I will just have to be extra vigilant.
Didn't think of a fly rug so will keep that in mind thanks. Trouble is she is very thin so things don't fit well at all :'(. It is there as an option though.
I bought an insecticidal shampoo, so gave her dock area a good wash with that and also used mane and tail conditioner to try and keep the tail hairs slippery, don't know if it will help, but thought I would give it a try.
She has not long had a dectomax injection so I am a little bit wary of using anything systemic. Deosect is great I have used it in the past but I think the cream which is also antibacterial is worth a go.
I ust feel so sorry for the poor little mare.

Templebar

Visit site
Maybe ask your vet there are a lot of spot/pour on treatments used in sheep and cattle, which are not licensed for horses but a vet might be able to know if one has been used before. I know crovect used on lambs has a spray gun so it covers a large area although it is blue but i would think colour and staining are the last of your worries. Having seen that one being put onto lambs with strike they dont half shift, any areas with maggots terramycin spray will kill them off too. But i would check with the vets as you are already under going treatment.

Cecile

Visit site
I thought of a few things this afternoon
I have one male sheep who seems to attract flies (Hope not to jinx things but never had maggots) he seems to give off a scent/smell which seems to make him fair game - it just doesn't seem to effect the others, he is like a fly magnet - I have stuffed my face in his fleece to smell him and his smell is different from the others (Very scientific)

When a pony of mine went into hospital they plaited the tail but used baby oil and it was all slippery (No good if going out in the sun tho due to burning)

I have a pony tail bag if it is of any use, its not restrictive at all - it will never be used here so may as well be useful elsewhere, its easy to put on, spotless and ready to use - she needs to keep her tail I say :) PM if of any use

Berpisc

Visit site
Quick update: Tail now bright yellow, I decided to take a lot of tail hair off as her tail id very thick and it was difficult to not only track down and remove all maggots but also apply cream effectively. So I kept the tail hairs on the top of her dock intact so she is protected from the sun on the top of her dock and still has full length tail hairs if she ever feels the need to swish her tail, the rest of her dock is more accessible to inspect and keep clean.
The rest of the CGS nightmare continues.

Redders

Visit site
There is a thing that is used routinely on pet rabbits called Rearguard. It’s designed to prevent/slow down the hatching of the eggs. Check with your Vet that it will be ok to use but that may offer protection? It’s topical and is applied to the area of concern.

wkiwi

Visit site
Can you put mosquito netting over her stable doorway to prevent flies getting in? It would be easy to make a lightweight frame to hold it away from the door so she could still look out.
Re the turn out - if she is only going out for an hour could she go out early in morning before flies start?