Foal Advice - which stallion???

Hollie anne

Visit site
Hi there, I am looking to buy a foal that is capable of the higher dressage levels, with a good temperament. Some of the foals I am looking at are by stallions such as: Charmeur, Foundation, Caprimond, Bretton Woods, Scolari and De Niro - all to good mares.

Has anyone got any favourites? A couple of them already move exceptionally well as foals..

They range from £4000 - 9000. Part of me worries about spending as much as £9,000 in case something goes wrong.. ! and a couple of the foals at the £4000 price are still very nice, great moving still, good confirmations and from reputable studs.

The more I have looked into this, it gets quite confusing and really they are all gorgeous. So I would love some advice on these stallions! Or any other studs with progeny for sale you may know of.. Thanks ( :

templewood

Visit site
Have you thought about looking at PRE (Andalusian) foals? Ideal for the collected work needed at higher levels, and yes they can extend! It depends whether you want true extension or just the front leg waving you get from a lot of WBs. Out of all the WBs at the Olympics, and only three Iberians, Fuego came 10th behind three from the UK, three from Germany and three from Holland. The three top dressage countries! The added plus is that you get a very trainable temperament. I remember one top International dressage rider saying that, when she buys a youngster, she doesn't go for the ones with 'expensive trots'!
Most well bred PRE's are easily capable of reaching GP level.

Hollie anne

Visit site
Hi, thanks for your feedback re andalusians. I must say I spent a bit of time in Andalucia riding andalusians and loved them. Lot of fun and great temperaments. It's just I have quite a good horse now anyway, and want something that is really really capable for the future and good at all the movmements, which I am not sure about with andalusians. If you have any studs you can recommend I would certainly be interested to have a look! Thanks

prosoup

Visit site
I know someone on facebook who has a really nice De Niro filly for sale out of a Gribaldi mare. She's not advertised the foal properly yet, but she did say it would have to be sold.

Thistle

Visit site
Donnerhall was the most represented stallion in the Olympic dressage lines, so going on that something with a good dose of Donnerhall should be a good bet. Carefully research how 'hot' certain lines are as some really are 'pro' only and very hard work.

I recall Jazz is very 'hot'

amy_b

Visit site
Treliver stud have some nice foals for sale in the middle of your price range. Dont get your hopes up about the black colt though because the rich husband I've ordered is due anyy minutee now...:rolleyes:

Alec Swan

Visit site
In as much as you will be able, NEVER EVER allow the price to be your main consideration.

As you say £9k is an awful lot of dosh, for a foal who could end up in a fence, or worse. Look at them all, and if the cheaper foal really takes your fancy, and if you're brave enough to trust your own judgement, then that's the way to go, I'd say!!

Good luck. ;)

Alec.

RuRu

Visit site
Which one? I really like 2 of their foals.. Thanks again.

I did initially mean the chestnut colt but when i went on to post you the link i had a nosey and saw the black De Niro filly and thought she was very smart but the chestnut colt really catches my eye and seen videos of him too and he is fab. The stud have a facebook page and their videos can been seen on there.

Hollie anne

Visit site
Thanks all very useful feedback. Think I will put my favourites in a document and ask a couple of friends that are quite knowledgeable... I will also go look at the other studs recommended.. ( :

welshone

Visit site
I know of a lovely Foundation colt foal that will be for sale but not advertised yet, in Devon. PM me for more info if interested.

Lgd

Visit site
De Niro of those you listed is known for producing rideability.

Another I would consider is Mooiman - I have two homebreds by him out of my retired advanced mare (had three but sadly lost one as a foal) and they have amazing temperament. Only have the oldest under saddle, had her at only her third competition yesterday and everyone was amazed at how calm and sensible she was. I backed her late but even with her ridden work limited by time constraints she is already working easily at medium level without even pushing her.

My 2yo is so nice he has kept his bits and I am running him on as a stallion candidate.

Don't know if they have any of his stock for sale at the moment but worth asking www.holdenfolddressage.co.uk

stolensilver

Visit site
Look at the dam line!

Has the dam done anything? Don't be blinded by Pr St Pr or Keur or Elite before the mare's name. Those are beauty pageant awards, given for in hand assessments and showing walk, trot and canter under saddle. Look for a mare or a mare line that has either competed to the highest levels themselves or has produced offspring that have competed to the highest levels. And don't be diverted by the big name stallions in the dam's pedigree. What has the dam line done?

The KWPN do give Keur (Sport) awards to mares but those only mean the mare has competed to at least Advanced Medium. Prestatie is also something to look for as it means that mare's offspring have competed, but the minimum achievement to get Prestatie is 3 offspring competing at Advanced Medium level. Personally I want more than that. I want a mare line that has produced GP horses.

Then look for a stallion (much, much less important) that has offspring at the highest levels and who has a reputation for producing SOUND and trainable stock. If they are getting top class offspring despite being a relatively unpopular stallion then that is even better. It means they have a higher "hit rate" (which is number of GP offspring / total number of foals). You'd be surprised how few GP competitors some of the big name stallions have sired despite having over 10,000 foals on the ground. Give me a stallion who has half a dozen GP competitors from a handful of foals any day of the week.

I'll have a foal next year that ticks all those boxes. Out of a De Niro (most represented stallion at the Olympics and renowned for the trainability of his offspring) x full sister to a World Equestrian Games Gold Medallist mare by Silvermoon (stallion with probably the highest ratio of GP offspring to foals on the ground in the world and sire of the glorious, world class Blue Hors Matine).

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Very good idea to get some advice, but please get some from someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to assessing foals.
And do your own research on what bloodlines appeal to you. Every show/grading/auction I go to, I make a note of what I like, and build an idea in my head of the bloodlines I like and what they bring to the table. It is a very individual choice when you are buying 1 foal for yourself.
Also be realistic about what you want as a rider. I used to like reactive, responsive horses, that once you got them on side that would give you there all. As I get older, not sure I want do much responsiveness lol.