Foal coat shedding!

Visit site
Just wanted to make a post on foal coat changes! I'm always so interested to see what colour foals shed out to. My 2 month old foal has started shedding out black but will probably end up dark bay. His sire is black and all of his sires immediate family are black. His dam is bay and is out of a black mare. Would love for him to be black but i'm pretty sure he'll be dark bay!

I'd love to see everyone's foals coat changes!!

Dam -

Sire -

TJ at 10 days old -

TJ 1 and a half months old -

TJ starting to shed out at 2 months old -

Bessi

Visit site
He is stunning! I'll get some more at the weekend but here is a funny picture i got sent the other week of where my boy is shedding out aged 6 weeks..

13654125_1322232531120563_2702880236518708308_n.jpg

and here he is at one day old
13268053_1284436691566814_3569942921117511015_o.jpg

Marigold4

Visit site
Just wanted to make a post on foal coat changes! I'm always so interested to see what colour foals shed out to. My 2 month old foal has started shedding out black but will probably end up dark bay. His sire is black and all of his sires immediate family are black. His dam is bay and is out of a black mare. Would love for him to be black but i'm pretty sure he'll be dark bay!

I'd love to see everyone's foals coat changes!!

Dam -

Sire -

TJ at 10 days old -

TJ 1 and a half months old -

TJ starting to shed out at 2 months old -
I realise this was a while ago, but what colour is your horse now? I have a foal that looks like yours did then, and think she will be dark bay. Looking for evidence that foals with light legs can turn dark bay!

TheMule

Visit site
I realise this was a while ago, but what colour is your horse now? I have a foal that looks like yours did then, and think she will be dark bay. Looking for evidence that foals with light legs can turn dark bay!

All bay foals are born with light legs- it is foal camouflage, they darken when they shed the foal coat

Newborn

IMG_4831.jpeg

2 months old

IMG_0128.jpeg

Now, as a yearling

IMG_1348.jpeg

Marigold4

Visit site
Fingers crossed then. My foal is currently the colour of a cheesy wotsit but with black mane and tail and a dorsal stripe. Did you know straight away that yours had white leg markings x 4?

TheMule

Visit site
Fingers crossed then. My foal is currently the colour of a cheesy wotsit but with black mane and tail and a dorsal stripe. Did you know straight away that yours had white leg markings x 4?

Yes, white socks evident from birth!
Yours looks likely to be a bright bay- mine was very dark right from birth and they tend to end up a similar color to the birth colour

Asha

Visit site
Here Amara as a foal, you can see the light legs and the white socks
Then as a yearling , a lovely bright bay

Attachments

• IMG_7524.jpeg
    IMG_7524.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7525.jpeg
    IMG_7525.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 15

Marigold4

Visit site
Here Amara as a foal, you can see the light legs and the white socks
Then as a yearling , a lovely bright bay
Thanks, for posting. Now mine is starting to shed, I can see darker patches underneath but perhaps that's just her skin and she hasn't yet grown her next coat. I think she has no markings at all. How old are they when they lose rheir foal coat completely? Two months?

Marigold4

Visit site
Sorry - another question about foal coat shedding. So my foal has started shedding and I can see black/dark brown coming through where her foal coat has gone. Do foals shed first to their underlying skin colour then grow a new coat on top or is the new dark colour her new coat?