Foal eating mums food

imafluffybunny

Visit site
My foal is 11 weeks old and happily munches the mares feed, she is fed Bailey's stud mix and stud balancer, recently the mare has been pushing her out to keep the feed to herself, the foal does get a little feed but not loads. Should i be providing a bigger bucket or another bucket for the foal?
I dont want to over feed the foal but i also want her to get some feed, or is this really necessary?

CrazyMare

Visit site
I gave mine her own bucket with just a handful of Mums, now she has hers made up properly (she is 4 months) other wise she was just pigging out on Mums and Mum wasn't fussed so walked away and let foal eat it all!!

eventrider23

Visit site
One of ours gets his own bowl with a handful of everything mum has…stops him fighting with her and makes him feel ‘grown up’ having his own bowl and so he leaves his mum alone. He doesn’t NEED his own feed and so it is only a little bit but it keeps him out of her hair whilst mum eats in peace - especially as he loves to roll on top of his bowl as the food is just sooo exciting…
smile.gif
From 12 wks you will be fine to put him on stud balancer....up till the 3 month mark i would just give him the chaff and stud mix...